Thread: What To Smoke

Default What To Smoke

Just wanting to know what other things are going into smokers besides salmon. Would like to learn how to smoke other things as well. Let us know what things you smoke and tell us how to do it. Include reciepes and directions of your favorite foods that are smoked. Thanks!

Pork butt, bacon, stuffed peppers, jerky, sausage, fatties, ABT's, and so much more.

Will post some recipes when I get a chance or you can google search and find tons of information.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Briskets, bacon, ham hocks, boiled eggs, fatties, pepper and terriyaki stix, cajun sausage,.....and salmon.
    Hers a pic of bacon and ham hocks smoking plus one of the smoker partially wrapped in a blanket to increase the temp for briskets....
    smoking bacon.jpgP1010512.jpg
    BK

Cheese. Place in pyrex dish and in the smoker it goes. Boneless skinless chicken breast. Jalapeno peppers for homemade chipotle sauce.

All you'll ever need to know! http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/

I will be doing some pork ribs on Sunday, looking forward to it!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I've seen a few Black bear hams and am anxious to try that
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Whole chickens, brisket, pulled pork, fatties. Haven't done fish yet. Find a rub you like and smoke it for everything I smoke at 225-250 degrees

I'll take a few roasts out of the hind quarter (did caribou brisket for the first time last fall) of moose or caribou and cure them for a week in a ham cure, smoke them for about seven hours until internal temp hits 155 then remove the roasts from the smoker and cover with reynolds wrap, then let the temp come up for another hour. Chill, slice thin and vacume seal. Makes amazing sandwiches and great on crackers with cheese for a snack or as an appetizer.

Game bird breasts are also great smoked, useing a simple brine.

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    Whole chickens, brisket, pulled pork, fatties. Haven't done fish yet. Find a rub you like and smoke it for everything I smoke at 225-250 degrees
    250 degrees is pretty warm for a fattie..........ever since moving to Ak I normally cold smoke 'em......

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    250 degrees is pretty warm for a fattie..........ever since moving to Ak I normally cold smoke 'em......
    Also too warm for fish if using a sugar based cure. The sugar will carmelize at around 200 degrees and the product will taste scorched.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I try to keep it around 225 and usually only throw them on at the same time I am doing something else already, usually chicken. I haven't had any complaints on the fatties yet

Would it work ok to smoke a whole deer ham or would it be better to cut out a roast and just smoke it? I have a couple deer hams that I would like to smoke but don't know if I need to smoke them whole or in smaller pieces.

Castiron, it depends on the deer. I have done whole hindquarters from Texas deer at Ft. Hood. But, the average deer I would probably bone out before smoking. Just too big. Once, I did a whole half deer, it turned out okay.... BUT I felt the need to heat in oven to make sure it was safe to eat. The outside had a thick smoke ring that looked nice when sliced, and was veeerrry smokey to the taste. I think if doing quarters today, I would start in the smoker, and finish in the oven (or at least out of the smoke).

Chris

I smoked some chicken tonight and it was very good. I bought one of the new digital thermometers and smoked it about 40 minutes then brought the internal meat temp. up to about 176 degrees. It was seasoned with dry rub that I throwed together out of the cabnet. The meat was still moist and tender and had a better flavor than I was expecting. I have had this smoker for a few years and only used it a couple times. I have been trying to get more information on smoking different kinds of food and I will be useing it much more in the future. What all kinds of cheese are good for smoking and what temperture do I need to stay below for cheese?