Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacum Sealer help!

Default Vacum Sealer help!

I need advice on a semi commercial grade sealer, I have a 150 dollar sam's club special and it doesn't last worth S***!! looking to spend upwards of 450! any advice would be wonderful!
    Thanks

Check out Cabela's, they have some decent ones in that price range. I have the Foodsaver Turbo, WAFWPOS. Was sealing smoked fillets this evening, after about 15 bags it started acting up and not getting the air out and sealing the bag full of air. Had to keep cutting them open and finally let it cool down. It took a long time to finish because I had to keep stopping. Friend at work bought one from Cabela's and said it is awesome. They went thru about 3 Foodsavers and said screw it. I'll be saving up for also. Good luck...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Then you have me, I must be the opposite on everything.
    I have a 10+ year old food saver that I think FINALLY gave up the ghost. It wasn't automatically sealing bags this year, had to do it manually, otherwise it has worked just fine. We have vacuum packed 1000's of fish filets, moose steaks, caribou burger.
    I also have a 15+ year old box fan that still runs all night, every night in my bedroom.
    The Foodsaver is not run for 30 consecutive bags, we seal 5-8 bags, then clean more fish. This allows it to cool between sealings.
    The fan gets a thorough cleaning on a regular basis.
    Use your equipment the way it is designed, and perform routine maintenance and it will last and work like a champ.
    If you want to run the vacuum packer for 30-45 minutes straight, a "family" grade packer isn't going to do the job.

Just my humble opinion.
    AK Chappy

I have a Food Saver also and it is marginal at best and I don't seal the quanity that some people do. Alot of people recommend the Cabela's CG-15 sealer. That will be my next sealer.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Here is the link and it has great reviews on the Cabela's site. Also righ now Cabela's has $5 shipping on orders over !$150.

Good luck.

This is the same as the Cabela's sealer (fewer adjustment controls) and costs less. I've been using it for 2 years, no complaints.

http://www.vacsealers.com/Order.html

I have been using the food saver vac for years and started using a chamber vacuum sealer two years ago and will never go back to a food saver. Three bears have the new chamber vacuum sealer out and it is great. Yes it is a bit more at 740.00 and a box of bags at 47.00 for 1000 bags but its worth it in my book. I am still pullin g meat out form a few years ago and it looks like i just packaged it.

Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Go to Alaska Butcher Supply in Mountainview. http://www.alaskabutcherequip.com
    They sell several chamber machines, although they are a little spendy; they also carry the Maximus suction machines that are made in Italy. Foodsavers are now made in China and they are crap.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I bought the one from Alaska butcher supply on Saturday cause my foodsaver took a dump after only a year. I'm not thrilled with it's use yet, it's the magic vac that they have for $400 right now, normally $450. It vacs and seals great on things that are dry. But fish fillets, even when patted dry and the inside of the bag all wiped and clean, just doesn't vac as tight as I'd like. It's kind of cumbersome to use with the locks on top and the different buttons, definitely could be simpler.

[QUOTE=mossyhorn;984073]I bought the one from Alaska butcher supply on Saturday cause my foodsaver took a dump after only a year. I'm not thrilled with it's use yet, it's the magic vac that they have for $400 right now, normally $450. It vacs and seals great on things that are dry. But fish fillets, even when patted dry and the inside of the bag all wiped and clean, just doesn't vac as tight as I'd like. It's kind of cumbersome to use with the locks on top and the different buttons, definitely could be simpler.[/QUOTE

If your using the thin ribbed bags they started carrying for the magic vac, I agree with you, they suck! Anything with moisture breaks the seal. You have to pat everything dry and then manual seal before moisture gets to the seal area. If its dry, it will crush a coke can. I've found the best bags to use for them are the bags they sell that are pre-cut at 3Bears that come in a brown box. All you have to do is start with your heat bar on 4 and after a few bags turn down to 3 and they do very well IMO. The nice thing about that sealer is that a pump replacement or heat bar replacement is a few bucks and 10-30 minutes wait time if they are not busy.

I bought the MV31 at AK butcher supply 3 years ago and I with I would have bought it 10 years ago. It is the best hting since sliced bread. It costs, but you will have it for the rest of your life. Go down there and hand them the credit card and you will not regret it.

Cabelas CG-15 sealer! Definitely worht the money! I love mine. Read the reviews too....you'll be hard pressed to find any negative comments, if any!

Lightbulb Chamber Sealer

If you are sealing a lot wet items like fish then it is probably worth the investment to get a chamber sealer. Cabelas now sells a table top model for around $800. I think the larger model with the oil pump would be even better but it is $1500 or so. Still if you can split with a friend or two they last a long time and you will recoup some of the cost just by the much cheaper bags. There is reason that all the fish packers use chamber style sealers. The one downside is that the chambers on these units will limit the size of bag you can use so most large fillets would need to be cut or folded. These are capable of sealing liquids and have far superior suction to vacuum style sealers with down time waiting for them to cool. Good Luck
    Greg

http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-V...%20sealers.htm
    You will not be disappointed with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter300saum View Post
    I bought the MV31 at AK butcher supply 3 years ago and I with I would have bought it 10 years ago. It is the best hting since sliced bread. It costs, but you will have it for the rest of your life. Go down there and hand them the credit card and you will not regret it.

Ditto, I also got the same machine about 3 years ago and it's great.

Use the grocers plastic vegtable bags. I buy a whole roll. Put in fish, a bit of good water. squeeze all air out, tie in knot, stack em up, uses less room in freezer, 10 years is my longest tested piece-never changed a bit.

This is our 3rd or 4th season on our chamber machine. We bought the MiniPac MV31 from AK Butcher. Using a sucker machine is just plain painful now. The investment has been worth it.

For you military guys/gals out there we did a slick little detour to the military resort in Seward from the Kenai this weekend just to seal the 100 fish we caught during our 5 day vacation. They have like 6 commercial grade sealers that are fast, super effective, and some can do as many as 6 fillets at a time. Shoot an hour later we had processed over 200 bags. Sure we had to drive an hour out of our way to get there but it saved us countless hours doing the processing here at home. As a bonus we did stay the night and got to put our fish in their -20 degree cooler overnight to really harden up.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post
    Then you have me, I must be the opposite on everything.
    I have a 10+ year old food saver that I think FINALLY gave up the ghost. It wasn't automatically sealing bags this year, had to do it manually, otherwise it has worked just fine. We have vacuum packed 1000's of fish filets, moose steaks, caribou burger.
    I also have a 15+ year old box fan that still runs all night, every night in my bedroom.
    The Foodsaver is not run for 30 consecutive bags, we seal 5-8 bags, then clean more fish. This allows it to cool between sealings.
    The fan gets a thorough cleaning on a regular basis.
    Use your equipment the way it is designed, and perform routine maintenance and it will last and work like a champ.
    If you want to run the vacuum packer for 30-45 minutes straight, a "family" grade packer isn't going to do the job.

Just my humble opinion.
    AK Chappy
    SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS YOU HAVE OLD CRAP.............

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    Agreed. Mine is a workhorse. I think this is the brand that makes the Cabela's CG sealers too. These vacuum sealers are a really good price on the Hunter's Butcher Shop site too: http://www.thehuntersbutchershop.com/category-s/42.htm

I bought the VacMaster VP112. $700, but cheap for a chamber sealer. No sucker vac can compare to a chamber vac. It works awesome, and sealing the fish up tight is the most important thing for longevity.

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast