Thread: One Day unguided fly in fishing

Default One Day unguided fly in fishing

Ny family and I will be making our virgin voyage to the great state of Alaska and are looking at doing a one day, unguided fly out fishing trip. We will be there during the height of the king madness (June 8 - 23) and could start the trip almost anywhere there is a highway (we will be renting a motorhome in Anchroage and making the loop north to Fairbanks south to delta junction, then Valdez and then Kenai peninsula.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good one day fly out for a family of 4. My daughters are 9 and 11.

Unless you like greater than road system crowds DON'T go to lake creek. I'd recomend alexander lake for pike.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up In Delta Try

Golden Eagle Outfitters opperates out of Delta Junction and has a good reputation. If you call them they would be able to help you out with planing a trip in that area. They have a nice web site that is very informative. I would suggest giving them a call and talking with them about options since they do much more than they have listed. They are good friendly people and very knowledgeable about Alaska what it has to offer. Hope this helps.

http://www.alaskawildernessexpeditions.com/index.html

sent you a pm.

Default Marina Air

Might try Marina Air, operates from the Chena Marina in Fairbanks. Does pike trips into Minto Flats. He also does other trips. Took my wife last year. $175.00 each for the flight and a cabin and a boat. Caught well over a 100 pike in 2 days of fishing. Me and the wife had a blast. He could take quite a few at the same time.

Steve

I've gone out with Trail Ridge Air from Lake Hood in anchorage twice for kings and once for pike. We were very successful. They go to a variety or rivers and creeks, where ever the kings are and they can land. Give them a call, 907 248-0838.

Default Thanks!

Looks like I have a lot to follow up on. Anyone ever used Copper Valley Air Service out of Glenallen?

Default Willow Air

North of Anchorage, great pike fishing. Guess you know there are big pike by this photo!
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Default idahoeyes

Yes, Dave Parmenter owns and flies Copper Valley Air, good guy and good pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    North of Anchorage, great pike fishing. Guess you know there are big pike by this photo!
    Impressive photo. Someone sent that to me along with these two a while back. I got the impression from the person sending it to me that it wasn't an AK fish but rather a mid-west or Canadian fish. Was it from AK?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post

Now that would be the coolest looking mount ever. Imagine the lil pike with about 12 inches of the body from the tip of the mouth back coming out of the wall. Grass all around the farthers point back of the pike to make it look like it is coming out of a weed bed. Then the monster pike would be right about to chomp the lil guy. That would be awesome. Underneith would be some rocks, maybe some water logged wood. That sure would be a conversation piece

Default Paul Clause

I would highly recommend Paul or John Clause of Ultima Thule Outfitters. They have a turbine otter so weight is no longer an issue if you want to bring a bunch of people or beer or whatever. And Paul and John have been in AK for something like 60 years combined. If you get a chance to see their lodge and eat Donna's cooking your finally figure out just what is so great about AK. Nothing but the best. And they know fishing spots that I am under strict orders not to divulge, where as Paul says "Sometimes the fish eat the bears."

http://www.ultimathulelodge.com/

I second Rick gold from Marina air. Great guy and a great fishing. Plus you get away from the crowds in Fairbanks.

I second Paul Claus fishing will be great. He has some Mokai's that the girls will love too.