Thread: POW trout ?

Default POW trout ?

Went to POW last year and had a blast. Will be there again next week. Caught plenty of salmon just looking for suggestions about a fun way to catch some trout. I know there's plenty in the lakes. Feeder creeks ? Need a canoe ?

Okay that wasn't very clear. I'm trying to get help with a) how to catch dollies when the river is full of pinks (and yes I know dollies aren't trout) or b) are there streams that don't have so many salmon where we can fish for trout ? Maybe some day I'll be converted but I'm not really into fishing lakes. Thanks.

Well, I've never fished POW. But around here (Juneau), the dollies in the spawners will take most egg patterns. I use beads, but I'll bet those creeks don't get too much pressure, so globugs would probably be fine. Bring more than just one color, though, because they can get really picky sometimes. Get it down to the bottom, under the pinks.

As for trout. You probably won't catch too many in the creeks. I'd seriously recommend trying the lakes. Anywhere an inlet creek drains in or an outlet creek drains out should be great. I usually use smaller black, olive, or brown buggers. Beadhead prince nymphs work great sometimes, too. If you want to try other parts of the lakes, look for half-submerged logs or possibly lily pads. Canoes or float tubes are nice, but not necessarily needed.

I don't know any specific places, but there are a few guys on here from POW. Hopefully they'll chime in.

look for chums, chances are there are dollies behind them, they eat pink eggs but like chum eggs better. I'd try fishing saltwater breaks where there are current with baitfish patterns and lakes with leaches. Also bright wet flies in small creeks with a 2 wt. Oh and dries. Expect nothing big and pinch your barbs!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.