Thread: Mills Creek access for goats?

Default Mills Creek access for goats?

I just went through one of the toughest bush wacks I have ever done in an attempt to reach the alpine Mills Creek area from the Upper Trail Lake side. There has got to be a better way, all log falls and downed timber at the bottom, then the horrendous 12 foot brush beyond that, biting black flies beyond belief, and in 2.5 hours in the brush, still had 1000 ft vertical to go before getting out of the brush. I realize this is a once in a lifetime opp, and am willing to do the scouting early season and before, but man!!! I've been conditioning this year, lost 16 lbs so far, and I want to give myself the best chance at a good billie by getting up on top, not just glassing from the road like most do. I want to have a chance to walk the ridges at some point, at this rate I will spend each weekend just trying to get above timberline! Can anyone give me any clues as to a good way to get up there? The problem from the lake side was not the vertical climb, but rather we just ran out of time because it was sooo slow getting through the brush and downed timber on the lower end. Thanks for any help! I am determined to take advantage of this opportunity and not squander, but could use some help! Thanks.

Have you tried mountain biking up Johnson Pass then working your way back west? I haven't done it and don't know whether its possible but thats where I would have started if I'd drawn the tag. Good luck!

Access from Jerome Lake. Straight shot to the top.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by akscotts View Post
    I just went through one of the toughest bush wacks I have ever done in an attempt to reach the alpine Mills Creek area from the Upper Trail Lake side. There has got to be a better way, all log falls and downed timber at the bottom, then the horrendous 12 foot brush beyond that, biting black flies beyond belief, and in 2.5 hours in the brush, still had 1000 ft vertical to go before getting out of the brush. I realize this is a once in a lifetime opp, and am willing to do the scouting early season and before, but man!!! I've been conditioning this year, lost 16 lbs so far, and I want to give myself the best chance at a good billie by getting up on top, not just glassing from the road like most do. I want to have a chance to walk the ridges at some point, at this rate I will spend each weekend just trying to get above timberline! Can anyone give me any clues as to a good way to get up there? The problem from the lake side was not the vertical climb, but rather we just ran out of time because it was sooo slow getting through the brush and downed timber on the lower end. Thanks for any help! I am determined to take advantage of this opportunity and not squander, but could use some help! Thanks.
    Did you get my e-mail reply?? PM or email me your number and I'll share what I know about it if you didn't get my reply.

Well, dude have you considered walking or riding a bike up the road? I think only miners can take 4 wheelers.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I helped a friend take a goat down there a few years ago. It was a one day hunt. I used to say Mills Creek was the easiest goat hunt in Alaska but after climbing the mountain and packing out his goat, I now say this is the most accessible goat hunt in Alaska but not the easiest.

Option 1: There is a maintenance road for Alascom that takes you part way up the mountain. There is still some brush but it wasn't that bad. Option 2: Camp at the gravel pit located a few miles up the Seward Hwy toward Anchorage and walk up the backside of the mountain where you see most of the goats. Pick a nice day in September so your goat will have much better hair than the goats shot in August. Plan on a long day or two to harvest your goat.

Thank you all for the help and phone calls. This is such a unique forum! It seems to have the knack of weeding out those looking for free advice without doing any research or "legwork" on their own first, while rewarding those who have shown some initiative and effort, and indicate that in the post, get the help they need. I hope to have a good friend and experienced goat hunter go with me for the hunt itself if his health holds out, but I want to be as prepared as possible. With several forum members help, I think we've come up with a way up the mountain that should work for us. Thanks again, and I'll let you all know what comes of this hunt. I plan to climb that guy in two weeks again, but would like to wait until September to shoot for hide quality (unless a unpassable billy presents himself sooner!)