Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am done fishing the Little Su !!

Default I am done fishing the Little Su !!

I've been coming up for 5 years and every year it get's worse and worse. I know it's fishing, but lately all I'm doing is paying for expensive boat rides.

Have fun without me boys.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I fished it once this past Saturday and it will probably be my only time. Fishing from the bank. Too much boat traffic and people driving like maniacs. Not much fun at all.

don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

Will do...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I don't live there, but you just put a big smile on the resident's faces

Good go cry yourself a new river somewhere else!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yentna_rat View Post
    Good go cry yourself a new river somewhere else!!!!!

If I did, it would be better fishing than on the Little Su. I still got it
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

What did you expect with a post like that? Anyone that wants to complain about their bad fishing trip in public is gonna have to expect some local glad you are gone feed back.. One less person I have to dodge or run out of my favorite hole...

If I did, it would be better fishing than on the Little Su. I still got it
    Still got what??? A bad attitude???

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    I fished it once this past Saturday and it will probably be my only time. Fishing from the bank. Too much boat traffic and people driving like maniacs. Not much fun at all.
    If more people stop coming up here we wouldn't have so many guide boats to dodge!

I'm not saying people shouldn't fish it but some mutual respect would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    I'm not saying people shouldn't fish it but some mutual respect would be nice.
    Amen!
    You got that right!

Bottom line is everyone should get along! The boater and shore fisher should have a mutual respect and if you don't understand how a river that is accessible by foot and able to be run with boat works than you should probably stick to a stream where they don't run boats...also crazy boat drivers are often confused with a boater running the channel and trying to avoid the shore fisher!

Quote Originally Posted by Yentna_rat View Post
    Bottom line is everyone should get along! The boater and shore fisher should have a mutual respect and if you don't understand how a river that is accessible by foot and able to be run with boat works than you should probably stick to a stream where they don't run boats...also crazy boat drivers are often confused with a boater running the channel and trying to avoid the shore fisher!
    WHAT! Now logic and reasoning are going to enter the thread!

I stopped going down there about 5 years ago. Too many people going around blind corners in a narrow channel at full throttle with no concern at all for traffic coming the opposite way. It's amazing that there hasn't been any boating deaths.

This isn't the only place I stopped going to either; pretty much these days anything within an hour and half drive of Anchorage is a mad house on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    WHAT! Now logic and reasoning are going to enter the thread!
    Had to throw some in the mix lol

I can understand the frustration, my biggest worry now is if I have 2ft or 6ft seas. Enjoy your eroded banks and those blind curves, all the cuss words and drunks having fun. What a rush when trying to avoid a sport standing in the main channel giving you the finger while you have your boat on step peeling aluminum off the hull on the rocks instead of the sport. :O) cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AKKCChief View Post
    I stopped going down there about 5 years ago. Too many people going around blind corners in a narrow channel at full throttle with no concern at all for traffic coming the opposite way. It's amazing that there hasn't been any boating deaths.
    I stopped going there soon after they built the Burma Road Landing. The boat traffic killed the fishing.

This isn't the only place I stopped going to either; pretty much these days anything within an hour and half drive of Anchorage is a mad house on weekends.
    Amen to that, too.

I'm thinking of a phrase that rhymes with "glow me".

The locals may not love me, but they love my $$$$
    I guess you're on to us. The truth is that fisheries management in Alaska is a matter of simple economics. For years the State of Alaska Department of Fish and Game has been implementing a phased approach on how to maximze tourist revenue while minimizing the actual benefit (fish or game) that the tourist receives. Only when we hit the point of diminishing returns (less tourist dollars) will we see more fish in the Little Su. Your boycott helps us all and for that I thank you.

In the mean time, this may help you feel better: http://www.replens.com
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I think I understand your frustration racer. I've passed up the Little Su for years. But a buddy has pushed me out there a couple of times this summer, and the second was this Sunday. Trying to enjoy a quiet afternoon of trout fishing was out the door, although it seemed as though the traffic was pretty light. I just wonder why anyone would want to put a boat a river that is easy and fun to walk (for that matter, any small stream should be humped on foot just like hunting should be done with boots, not wheelers, but that's apparently just me).

However ...

I must say that all but one of the boaters was downright delightful. I had several "sorry"s shouted out, and pleasant hellos, tips-of-the-cap, and waves from most. I thought it would be a drunk neckfest, (and I'm sure it can be) but instead it was smiles and pleasantries all around. While hearing the boats several minutes before and after they passed ruined the solitude (I was after trout, not on a meat-hunt), I had no problems getting out of the way, and the drive-bys didn't seem to deteriorate the fishing. I salute the drivers, and wish you luck. I'll prolly be out there another time or two during the silver run, and definitely later for more trout.

I do wonder, though, how canoes and rafts don't get swamped or rear-ended. Any drifters out there have problems/run-ins/close calls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast