Thread: Meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

Default Meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

I am planning a caribou/reindeer/Deer hunt in October on the south end of Kodiak in about 8 weeks, Ayakulik river area. I know there is no where to hang meat so i am bringing down three 3 eight foot 2x4's and will construct a hanging station with an electric fence around it. I will also be bringing citric acid mixture to help preserve the meat. My question is as follows: does anyone have success in preserving meat using any other methods? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for your advice in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by sardog55mark View Post
    I am planning a caribou/reindeer/Deer hunt in October on the south end of Kodiak in about 8 weeks, Ayakulik river area. I know there is no where to hang meat so i am bringing down three 3 eight foot 2x4's and will construct a hanging station with an electric fence around it. I will also be bringing citric acid mixture to help preserve the meat. My question is as follows: does anyone have success in preserving meat using any other methods? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for your advice in advance.
    Yep. Basic principles are to get it off the ground enough so the air will get to it ... and develop the hardened layer to deter any flys. With it being october, probably cooler/damp/wet and the recommendations towards a tarp to keep the rain off is good sound advice.

From the multiple threads in the different subforums, looks like you'll be float hunting with archery equipment. Sounds like fun.