Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What rifle sling to use?

Default What rifle sling to use?

Looking for a really lightweight sling for my mountain rifle. The best I can find is around 7 oz (with swivels)...which seems ridiculously heavy. Not looking for any frills. Anyone know of anything out there?

Default saving ounces

Don't take this the wrong way, but what are you hunting with this rifle? You said it was a mountain rifle, so I'll assume you're probably using it for sheep or goats. Regardless, when you think about it, are you even going to notice an ounce or two more or less on your sling when you're packing out whatever you killed? I have no idea what any of my slings weigh, and I've never considered it. You're better off, IMO, looking at minimizing the weight of things like your sleeping bag, shelter, clothing, boots, food, etc. Others may disagree, but to me the weight of a sling is inconsequential.

well ounces make pounds.....but some things are worth their weight. I have a pile of broken butler creek plastic sling swivels. I prefer a simple nylon sling with a little grippy pad and uncle mikes swivels. perhaps not the lightest, but 100% reliable. when a sewn sling gives up on you in the middle of nowhere you won't be pleased. a full length nylon webbing sling takes one more thing to go wrong and eliminates it.

Default More than one way!!!

Might want to consider this way. My hunting buddy and me used this system for our sheep hunt. Great gun sling. Keeps your hands free and is light. Can be used on your pack or on your back. Can keep your gun in front of you just in case. It will rub your barrel on the top. So keep this in mind, a little tape or if you use a
    SS gun not problem.
    Steve
    http://hunting.about.com/gi/dynamic/...rcorral.com%2F

I agree with highcountry on this one. I don't think I have the same swivels, but with a 7lb. riffle I don't notice the weight difference with or without. If you're really into finding the lightest sling, you could probably MacGyver something up out of eye hooks and boot strings but I'd rather have something I know I can depend on.
    Chris Willhoite

Default Butler Creek Neoprene

This is what i have on all my rifles. The most comfortable sling I have had on a gun.

I don't care much for the bullet holders on them though.

Stid 267 or whatever had a good link. I have more or less the same sling (uncle Mikes rifle holster) and LOVE it. Keeps the hands free, but easlily accessed.

Thanks for the feedback. I am in pursuit of the absolute lightest, reliable, and utilitarian equipment I can possibly find. I have spent considerable time refining my outfit over the years. I pack hunt almost exclusively anymore...sheep and goat for the most part....and it kills me to put a 7 oz sling on a 5lb 1oz gun. So, was just wondering if anyone with the same sort of fanatic mindframe for weight has found a production sling that is lightweight....

No Kidding

Default made my own

I use Butler Creek Neopreme and agree that they are the most comfortable I have ever used.

This past fall I was looking into the lightest sling available and I found that there is some cheaply made stuff out there that I wouldn't trust in the field.

What I ended up doing was making my own out of nylon webbing I found at hardware store. I first played with my other slings to get the exact length I was looking for so that it was comfortable and perfect for forarm wrapping. Then overlapped the ends and sewed them over multiple times. Finally put two rivets in each overlapping. Never weighed it, but I doubt you will find anything lighter. I am going to experiment with an overlapping-velcro system to see how that will work.

Your hands (well... Someone was gonna say it!!)

Up until last year I always used a padded or regular SuperSling. Then I tried a Safari Sling and since I really liked it my son decided to give it a try. He liked it so much that he "confiscated" it for the rest of the hunt and I was back to the SuperSling. Now we have several Safari Slings.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default butler creek

another vote for Butler creek, the most comfortable sling that I have come across....

Default me too

Butler Creek neoprene gets the nod.

I had a butler creek sling tear on me and thrashed mt favorite pentax scope, so for me I am all about full length nylon that just can't break.

I have a stock with buit in sling "rods" the sling attaches w/o any swivels or studs....saves me a few grams.

Safari Sling is all I use. You couldn't pay me to use another. Got it from Cabelas 10 years ago. I think they still sell them.

What KRS said! Why even use a sling? I can think of many reasons not to.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    What KRS said! Why even use a sling? I can think of many reasons not to.
    A proper sling is of more use than to just lug the rifle around with as anyone who knows how to use it as a shooting aid can attest to.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Smile

The lightest sling I have ever used was an emergency repair. Used a sleeping bag strap from a back pack and it is still on my 22.

Woody

Default Safari Sling vs Backpack

For those of you with the Safari Sling: how does the it work while wearing your backpack? Does it get hung up on the pack? Do you wear it under or over the top of your pack?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast