Thread: meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

Default meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

I am planning a caribou/reindeer/Deer hunt in October on the south end of Kodiak in about 8 weeks, Ayakulik river area. I know there is no where to hang meat so i am bringing down three 3 eight foot 2x4's and will construct a hanging station with an electric fence around it. I will also be bringing citric acid mixture to help preserve the meat. My question is as follows: does anyone have success in preserving meat using any other methods? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for your advice in advance.

It will be plenty cool at that time of year. Not so much flies as bears. If you're going to fence it I wouldn't take the time to hang it myself, just make sure it is dry and vented.

Taylor

I've done that hunt. If your not getting pulled within a few days after you get your Caribou/Deer, then do the meat sinking trick in one of the Lakes. It worked great with mine sunk 5 days without any problems. Just like a putting the meat in refrigerator.

did you bone out the meat and put it in ziplock bags and then submerge it?

sounds good, do those electric fences really work?

Yes, debone the meat (air dry a few hours), place in 1 1/2 gallon ziplock bags or smaller (take all air out), place in doubled garbage bags size locked bags (again all air out), place in dive bag with rocks in it, tie rope from dive bag to shore rock/log.

On the electric fences, they are not 100%. In my Brown Bear hunt this past May, one stepped on a fence post, snapped it at the base, laid out the line flat to the ground, and walked in. Our Cabelas Outfitter tent was destroyed. I wouldn't use one for meat, but for the camp area, just for peace of mind. But sleep light anyway and be prepared.
    BTW, for that area your going, if you want Caribou, go mid-September...............

thanks jeff, appreciate the advice. i am going the first week of october, hopefully that will be okay. was stationed in the CG there for 5 years as a SAR pilot. what is a dive bag?

A dive bag is a bag used by divers, a really big mesh type bag that holds just about anything a diver wants to put in there when they are on the bottom.
    Chances are, the Caribou will be out of the valley by the time you get there. Have your pilot fly over by Bumble Bay, then Anvil Mountain and then over to the lake just south of that where the weather station is. All good deer hunting, you'll need to be flexible, as the caribou will probably be split up by then, particularly the big bulls which will be by themselve by that time..

and email at j.utter@yahoo.com
    More info......
    Thanks.