Thread: Meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

Default Meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

I am planning a caribou/reindeer/Deer hunt in October on the south end of Kodiak in about 8 weeks, Ayakulik river area. I know there is no where to hang meat so i am bringing down three 3 eight foot 2x4's and will construct a hanging station with an electric fence around it. I will also be bringing citric acid mixture to help preserve the meat. My question is as follows: does anyone have success in preserving meat using any other methods? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for your advice in advance.

There are some pretty large alder patches in that country - usually enough to do something like this:

The 2x4 plan sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

It sounds like you've thought through the airflow (2x4s), bear protection (electric fence), and crust/bugs/preservation (citric acid). Probably the last piece for completeness would be temperature/cooling. Although Aug and Sept present higher ambient temperature problems, Oct cools down more which should help you out. If you have trees/shade as Chisana expects then the 2x4s would be unnecessary, but that does depend on where you are dropped/camp. Only you know exactly where/what elevation and if trees will be present or not. If meat temperature is a concern at some point you can place it in contractor or mega-size ziploc bags and immerse in water during heat of day. Then remove and hang for airflow in evening/night. You can also do this to initially cool the meat, but it's unlikely you'll need those measures that time of year on Kodiak. If you are unsure then take a kitchen meat thermometer to monitor the meat temps. I have not done this, but am considering making it a fixture in my gear bag. Good luck and hope you have a great hunt.

BTW I love that picture Chisana. I've seen the one similar with all the antlers underneath. That's gets a guy excited for a Kodiak run.

Yeah - you're overthinking the whole 2x4 thing.
    We usually just cut a bunch of alders & pile em up. Lay the bagged meat on top - make sure none of it touches the ground or the bags touch each other. Pile more brush on top of the meat. Cover the pile with a tarp - don't stake it tight to the ground - air will circulate under the tarp & around the meat.

thanks for the tips everyone! i hope to post some pics like Chisana posted, ony with caribou/deer quarters.