Thread: Meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

Default Meat Care South End of Kodiak October 2011

I am planning a caribou/reindeer/Deer hunt in October on the south end of Kodiak in about 8 weeks, Ayakulik river area. I know there is no where to hang meat so i am bringing down three 3 eight foot 2x4's and will construct a hanging station with an electric fence around it. I will also be bringing citric acid mixture to help preserve the meat. My question is as follows: does anyone have success in preserving meat using any other methods? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for your advice in advance.

If you have the room, bring more 2x4's. Often you can get driftwood to build a hanging station if you are near the beach. If it's raining a well secured tarp is a must. I use citric acid, but it really doesn't do anything to "cure" the meat. It is simply a fly deterrent. The only way to "preserve" meat is to keep it cool and dry.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

thanks for the tips! Much appreciated

No need for the citric acid it is way cold down that way come the end of Oct and early Nov! Bring your wood and a good tarp or two to keep your meat dry. Lots of moisture that time of year but some good breezes as well so make sure you rotate your meat if you bone it out so it does not get moist spots between the chunks of meat.

Default My way of keeping meat down there

This is how I have always done it and it is very effective at reducing scent. Two bucks per tote boned into compactor bags. Rotate warm ones to the bottom to cool them down. Moth balls on tops. water levels in these creeks swings quickly but the deeper the better without floating them. I have used shallow ponds also. I have kept meat ten days like this down there on several occasions that time of year.
    Attached Images Attached Images