Thread: Winter RV Trips

Default Winter RV Trips

We recently purchased a 32' Class A Motorhome. We live in Seward and would like to use it to do trips to Anchorage and not pay for hotel rooms. I know a lot people take their RVs to Arctic Man in the winter and I have some questions.

How well does the RV stay warm (of course it depends on temps)?

Do you run studded tires? The tires that we currently have are on 19.5" wheels and look practically new but are a highway tred? The Seward Highway can be down right nasty at times. Does the weight of the RV give you good traction anyways?

Thanks for the advice.

I take my truck camper out in winter. Not the same I know, but a few thoughts maybe in common:
    1. Heat: Heat is no problem. Anchorage is mostly 20 deg or so in winter. I usually leave Anchorage but -10 or so is the coldest I've been out. I don't have high heat needs, but the condensation from propane heat is significant. Also, unheated plumbing or reservoirs are not usable.

2. Blackwater accumulates: Find out where to dump beforehand. I know of one dump station open in Anchorage during winter. There might be others, but the ones I usually use in summer (Eagle River) close down in October or so.

3. Tires: I have gone out late season before putting studs on, but prefer not to. Esp 3-4 day outings, the weather can surprise ya and an icy stretch way out the Glenn Hwy or such might be more sporty than enjoyable. I've seen parked pickups slide out into the street when the ice is bad in Eagle River. Don't want to see my old Lance teleporting anywhere without my permission.

4. Snow: Got snowed on a few times. Never much so far, but I plan for it on the way in. Prob not an issue in Anchorage. Enroute maybe.

Try it. Avoid freezeups and the rest is easy. All you'd have to do is crank up and drive home, right?
    Good luck.

Insulated window covers make a huge difference in winter camping comfort. They also double as blackout curtains in the summer.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Thanks for the advice.
    I think that we might have to dry camp when we use it in the winter because the grey and black water tanks are on the undercarriage and exposed to the elements and could freeze up. The water tank is next to one of the furnaces under the bed so that should not freeze. Then for the majority of the time it is going to be in the driveway and I do not want to have to winterize and dewinterize every time we want to use the RV.

Johnson's tire in Anchorage said that there are no 19.5 tires that have studs but they recommended Maxxis All Season and there is a chance that they could be studded. The biggest issue is that the initial investment of 6 tires winter tires would cost $2500. OUCH!