Thread: Upper kenai reds

Default Upper kenai reds

Hello,

Were are all the health Reds on the Kenai ?
    I fished by Jim's landing and landed nothing but spawned out ones.
    Are the all still possibly in the lake?

J***

Yup, tons of them in the lake, jumping and splashing all along the shoreline and quite a few in the middle river still.

Default Try up north

If you think the lower river is bad- try the upper river!

Counts this year on the RUssian are worse than last year - and last year they shut the place down early.

Not a great sockeye year for all!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They are having a huge kegger in Skilak. Which sucks because when the make the run out they will be firetrucks. There are lots of fish in the lake but the sad part will be the wont be fishable by the time they hit the upper
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    If you think the lower river is bad- try the upper river!

Counts this year on the RUssian are worse than last year - and last year they shut the place down early.

Not a great sockeye year for all!
    There's 750,000 sockeye in Skilak, they will be there, sooner or later....
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

They'll be red by the time they get up there though...

Default Concernes about the Russian River fish

I still caught bright sockeyes in early Sept. last year while fishing for silvers. Of course they closed the river down early so it didn't matter.

Overall there doesn't seem to be any concern at all from the F&G about the upper river and the Russian being a bust for fishermen last year and perhaps again this year - the run this year so far is even smaller than last year. I guess we sport fishermen and businesses up north don't matter much! They can just shut the river down so they meet escapment and call it a sucess.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Unless they are going down stream, I've never really seen spawned out fish at Jim's. Plenty of blushing fish - a firetruck here and there (I expect more later) - a percnetage of fish with net damage that's starting to degrade skin but makes them easy to see - and still quite a few fish that merit 'decent' quality for the table. I never go there to get ocean fresh - but my experience on the upper river so far this year has been quite the opposite of most of the reports I've read. I cannot speak for the confluence/russian as I avoid that area, but I will say although it hasn't been hot and heavy, I've seen plenty of fish going by to my liking.

Default Reds

Caught 3 chrome reds yesterday at the ferry but it took 4 hours!!!! Don't know how yo upload pictures..oops.

Thanks for the report!

River should be thick with fish by now IF the run numbers reported are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dutton View Post
    Caught 3 chrome reds yesterday at the ferry but it took 4 hours!!!! Don't know how yo upload pictures..oops.