Thread: How does everyone monitor fuel consumption with Mercury sportjet?

Default How does everyone monitor fuel consumption with Mercury sportjet?

Hi-

Ok.. We have been using the new boat (2175 Jetcraft extreme shallow) all summer.. I have figured out (thanks to everyone here) how to retrieve boat stuck on rocks, start the boat quickly with the finicky throttle and now my only pet peeve is the fuel gauge. Im pretty sure it must be some type of analog float in the tank... Is there a better way to measure GPH usage so that I know for sure that I only have 2 gallons left? My fuel gauge goes from 1/2 tank to 1/8 in no time..Maybe I drive to fast.....

Thanks,

Mike

I do it all the time using a gps, log the number of miles versus gas used = miles/gal.

ok.. I have thought about doing that. I usually run about 5K RPM around my river.. so, I should be expecting to get 3 miles a gallon, approximately? Or, less. Seems like less for me...

M.

Mercury Smartcraft guage, plug and play with the sportjet and does alot more than monitor fuel usage. At 4000rpms I am burning about 5gph at 5000 it is about 14gph, WOT about 18gph, of course it all vairies with load and current but still very helpfull for fuel consumption on longer trips. You will find that once over 4000rpms your fuel consumption goes up drasticly, and at 4000rpms I can cruise pretty comfortable around 25mph. (5000rpms will only give you about 5mph more but double the fuel usage)
    Dont know what they cost, mine was standard, but I would have bought one in a heartbeat if I did not have one.
    Mike

Ok..14gph at 5000 would make sense from what I am observing with my fuel consumption. I have heard about the Mercury Smartcraft guages and will check into them

Thanks for this info!

M.

I guess a more "manual" way to figure it out would be to just take along some extra fuel cans on the next couple of trips. Make whatever run you are going to make, whether it is 10 minutes or an hour. Make sure the tank is filled to a specific point when you start and then refill it to exactly that point when you are done. Figure how many gallons that took compared to how many minutes/hours it took to burn it. That will help to get you a number that is accurate to your style of running the boat. I would do it a number of times, maybe over shorter runs, to get a good average.

Default Opti consumption chart

Here's a consumption chart showing the consumption of the opti at each rpm according to Merc. The vessel speed will be depend upon on the load.

Halibutgrove- Thanks for this chart.. It is a big help and explains why I was running empty after 2.5 hours of running around!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    Halibutgrove- Thanks for this chart.. It is a big help and explains why I was running empty after 2.5 hours of running around!

M.
    Your Welcome, set it at 4k and let us know what kind of your GPS speed you get.

The Smartcraft gauge runs about $250 give or take. Well worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    The Smartcraft gauge runs about $250 give or take. Well worth it IMO.
    Ditto the smartcraft guage...I find myself adjusting throttle on long runs based on my GPH...not speed!
    "One Last Cast"

Default GPS speed this weekend at 4000 RPM

Ok.. Here is my GPS data running with 35 gallons of gas, two people, 4K RPM, good weather, Bimini top up. MPH seems about right..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50111973@N08/6019858704/

I tried to post image link but for some reason not working...

M.