Thread: halibut around haines alaska??

Default halibut around haines alaska??

I haven't fished for halibut there in years Might.head down there in august,we use to catch halibut off Sulivan island and a small island outside cannery bay. Anyone know if there many halibut in those area's,not looking for monsters,20 lbs-50lbs.I'm just running a crestliner 18 deep tillar boat so don't want to go out to far

thanks

You should be able to get some there. Good time of year for it.

Just starting to heat up. They are still deep at the moment. Caught a few last week at 200-300 feet.

any problems running out to sullivan island from haines in an open 18' crestliner? does it kick up much around sullivan island?

thanks

We'll I've never personally boated right there, but the prevailing wind is straight up Lynn Canal and it's a hell of a fetch length. Things tend to get ugly when the tide rip is opposite the wind direction.

Grit,
    Be VERY careful with the weather if you are taking an open skiff to Sullivan Island. Lately the wind has been building almost every afternoon to 20 plus knots. I would recommend fishing South of Katzehein river as it is closer if it becomes snotty.

thanks windypoint. Are there places to duck and hide for a while around sullivan if it blows? 2'-3' waves would be ok probably, not sure I want to run 4'-5' footers.a 20km wind is approx a 4' foot waves , is that a good estimate? I have heard there can still be decent halibut fishing around sullivan, time to move up to a 20' -22' hwescraft next year.

thx

Griz,
    The winds at 20 knots will be 3 to 4 feet against the ebb, less with the flood. This Summer the winds have regularly built to 25 knots and the seas can be over 5 feet. I can't recommend a good spot around sullivan other than beaching near a stream. You could be stuck for a long wait. Hewes 22 Ocean is what I fish with and I still wait for a really good day. Punching into 4 footers is still hard on my back.

WindyPoint: I'm looking at the purchase of either a ocean pro 22' or harbercraft discovery 22' hardtop. do you run your boat down to hoonah?you ever hear of halibut being caught on that island just out of canery bay,we caught a few there years ago.

This Summer has been to windy for me to take the Hewes to the outside or Hoonah. I hope there may be a stretch of calm weather yet, but it is not looking promising. Can't say about cannery cove as i do not fish there.

I made it to haines over the weekend, we caught quite a few halibut and one big guy over 140lbs.Saturday it was flat, sunday and monday was indy and rainy.