Thread: DNP Moose Hunting

Default DNP Moose Hunting

I was looking into going moose hunting in DNP in September. I am not looking for anyone's spot, but rather just some information. Does anyone know the rules for hunting in the park as far as walk in or use of a wheeler? And secondly, has anyone hunted up there with any success? Just looking for general knowledge help is all. Not looking for anyone to plan a hunt for me. Thanks to anyone who wants to talk or create some dialogue.

DNP= Denali National Park? Closed to sport hunting. There is a small portion called the Denali National Preserve on the west side that is open to hunting, but it's going to be fly-in only. http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/upl...NFORMATION.pdf

Denali State Park is open to hunting. No ATV use though. There are many trails that head into the woods from the Parks Highway. No discharge of weapons within 1/4 mile of the highway and most trails and campgrounds within the park have their own rules. Look up Denali State Park in google and you will find the rules.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AK Doug thanks for the info. I wa up in the park this weekend and was looking through the regs and it looked like alot of the park was open to moose hunt, but thanks for the info. Looks like some good country for some moose. I will look into it further.

Check with Jeff King - I heard he gave up his honeyhole a couple of years ago.

Gary, not quite sure what to say to that. If your being sarcastic I can appreciate it I guess but otherwise that isn't what I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Gary, not quite sure what to say to that. If your being sarcastic I can appreciate it I guess but otherwise that isn't what I was looking for
    Jeff King got busted hard for being over the line. There is what is called "HARD" Park. and "soft" Park. You need to not cross the line.

AGL thanks for the info, sounds like I need to carry the GPS in my hand to make sure I'm legal. Sounds like it might not be worth it

You might want to check with the head ranger for the park about hunting boundries. I specify the "head" ranger because it might be easier to get a straight answer(?). As AGL said, there are some "soft" areas where hunting MAY be allowed. You'd probably have to walk - I don't think you could get an air taxi to drop off inside park boundries. I think King had a gps, but it didn't do him much good when it came time to pay the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    AGL thanks for the info, sounds like I need to carry the GPS in my hand to make sure I'm legal. Sounds like it might not be worth it
    That would be an excellent idea.

As AKDoug suggests, keep the language in context ... as hunting in the wrong park "park" could be extremely problematic.

Generally speaking, there is lots of space to hunt. For me, I translate the boundaries, special use areas, land ownership (aka the do not hunt here areas) onto an Alaska road Atlas and give myself a buffer. And I do the same on my topography charts and the GPS. Just know where you are (GPS) and what the regulations for that space is.

In my mind, this planning effort is 95% of the challenge (knowing where is legal, if you're legal, what critter is legal, what modes of travel are legal, weapon requirements, hunting techniques) when hunting Alaska.

Make sure you have the GPS set to the correct format or you can be on the wrong side of one of those oh so important imaginary lines and still not know it

Ok thank you guys for all the good info. I love to walk and find that's the best way to get away from most people. Now, for the next part, have any of you who replied actually hunted in the park?

no but I did take a tour bus through their a couple times. Saw a dandy moose on one of those trips!

haha thanks LuJon, very helpful

Now, for the next part, have any of you who replied actually hunted in the park?
    You can't hunt in the 1980 additions to the park, the "soft" parts. Only qualified local residents can.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/hun...nformation.htm

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/park-boundary-info.htm

First link is some general info on hunting with links to regulations, guide & transporters, etc.

The second link has park mapping & boundary data which can be downloaded in a variety of formats.

If you're flying yourself in, you might check this link: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...nformation.htm

There are links to webcams, lists of runways, frequencies and other stuff that we here at NPS assume pilots would like to know.

No hunting in the old park....period.

You say your residence is Anchorage and you moved here in 2008, so no hunting in the park expansion lands. The parts around Cantwell and Healy open to subsistance Use.

No ATV use anywhere in the park because you do not live in Cantwell.

Sport hunting in the Preserves per regulations.

Default Moose hunting

Ok, so talking about the whole Jeff King and hunting in DNP. If you shot a moose in DSP and it runs and dies in DNP is that ok?
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

I think you'd have to prove it.

Floater thanks for the info. I didn't know how serious I would be about hunting in the park but it might be fun for a try. I haven't hunted moose that much and am just looking to get out. Of course seeing some animals isn't too bad either.