Thread: Decreased numbers of shrimp 2011 - update

Default Decreased numbers of shrimp 2011 - update

I know earlier on this season people were talking about how the catch rates were down for shrimp. I'm still finding that I'm catching about half as many as I did last year. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

On a 3 day trip I caught 1/2 as many as last year - same time, same place - 3 pots less made a big difference in production. Overall it seemed a little more sporadic.

I still feel that my catch this year is right on with my averages in my favorite spot.

My experience this year is the deeper the better. In places where I did good last year I am finding the shrimp deep, like down around 700 feet and deeper. I think the water is wormer and this is driving the shrimp down; just my theory.
    Early in the season we hammered the shrimp on a three day trip bringing home about 50lbs of tails, when we returned to this location almost two months later the numbers had drastically decreased. Not sure if they migrated to other location or fished heavily by the commercial guys. We dropped the pots deep as we could; the shrimp just disappeared.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Went on a shrimp charter out of Whittier last week. First time I had EVER been shrimping. Was told we were setting in about 500 feet of water.
    Set two strings each time with a total of 5 pots (a 3 & a 2). First pull of "3" string had 10-15 in the first two and about 30-35 in 3rd. Second string with about 10-15 per pot (79 total). Second pull was worse- "2" string had ZERO in both pots. "3" string has about 10-20 per pot (37 total). Came home with 4.8# of tails. Productivity was not what I was lead to believe. Kind of frustrating actually. Did catch some small (VERY SMALL) rock fish and some silvers during soaks. Both are my least favorite fish for eating.

Have never heard of such a thing, guess you could just set back and slam down beers while enjoying the scenery. Itís hard to land on the shrimp constantly on short soaks but can be done, from your description I would say you did fine for a day charter. I wonder what the regs are associated with a shrimp charter.

Smoke those silvers, best thing you can do. Than make a mess of smoke salmon dip, great stuff.

Never met a rock cod I didn't like to eat.

I cut open some pacific cod and they were full of shrimp. And i have never seen so many cod....

Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    I cut open some pacific cod and they were full of shrimp. And i have never seen so many cod....
    You hit the nail on the head. The great cod attack of 2011.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I know earlier on this season people were talking about how the catch rates were down for shrimp. I'm still finding that I'm catching about half as many as I did last year. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
    Yes, but I'm not surprised. Our grand and all knowing Department of Fumble & Guess is to thank for it. This time last year it was lots of shrimp! Plenty of shrimp! Allow more pots! Let comm. fishermen catch more!

Gee, not so many shrimp now. They liberalized things for sport and comm. fisherman. Knee jerk reactions at work...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Would not be surprised if next year the sport pot limit drops to 3.

Why is it every time a resource shows abundance we have to exploit it?

How many Spot shrimp did you see at the marked, zip! My in-laws who own one of the largest seafood processors in South central couldnít get their hands on any. I know for a fact a lot the commercially caught shrimp went in personal freezers or given away to friend and relatives, so economically the spot shrimp fishery makes no sense. Sure there were a few selling their harvests on the street, still this was the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    My experience this year is the deeper the better. In places where I did good last year I am finding the shrimp deep, like down around 700 feet and deeper. I think the water is wormer and this is driving the shrimp down; just my theory.
    Early in the season we hammered the shrimp on a three day trip bringing home about 50lbs of tails, when we returned to this location almost two months later the numbers had drastically decreased. Not sure if they migrated to other location or fished heavily by the commercial guys. We dropped the pots deep as we could; the shrimp just disappeared.
    Have you ever considered that you fished out your spot?

pike_palace,
    Thank you for correcting a definition that had me confused (ADF&G) . Now that I have the correct information I will no longer be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Have you ever considered that you fished out your spot?
    Obviously the spot has either been fished out or the shrimp migrated to another location, we are talking about a 3 miles stretch of shore line here; doubt my 3 pots had much of an impact. Last weekend we targeted a new area and did ok. Itís anyoneís guess where the little bugs run off to, but when 20 or 40 combined commercial pots fish an area day in and day out the resource obviously suffers.

We can point finger all day for sure, hopefully these observations are just temporary anomalies.

I'm shrimping in the same area as I have been for the last several years. It's not an area that was open to commercial shrimping, and there are no more and no fewer shrimp pots in the area than there have been in the past. My average yield per pot over the years has always been the same, right through the end of last year (when the pot limit was raised to 8). So I don't think that fewer shrimp this year necessarily means that an area has been overfished, although it's possible. My guess is that there are several factors involved, whatever those may be.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I'm shrimping in the same area as I have been for the last several years. It's not an area that was open to commercial shrimping, and there are no more and no fewer shrimp pots in the area than there have been in the past. My average yield per pot over the years has always been the same, right through the end of last year (when the pot limit was raised to 8). So I don't think that fewer shrimp this year necessarily means that an area has been overfished, although it's possible. My guess is that there are several factors involved, whatever those may be.
    And that last sentence is why there is a difference between projecting a fishing limit for maximum yield vs. sustainable fishery. Listening to a couple of biologists talk about the difficulty of predicting fish returns there are obviously a lot more variables than we might appreciate...and many of them beyond our control. I think that I'm just going to cry about the fact that this year I haven't dropped my pots as often as last year and blame THAT for my lack of shrimp!