Thread: The drive between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

Default The drive between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

Good day.

I'm in the planning stages of my first trip to Alaska for 2012. Hunting partner and I are coming up to the last frontier to bowhunt caribou. Already have a couple spots reserved with our transporter and have the bulk of the logistics figured out......from Fairbanks that is.

Considering a day or two in SE Alaska on the front end of the trip to experience some of the incredible fishing I keep reading about. So, been giving thought to flying in to Anchorage instead of Fairbanks. Spend some time fishing and then driving a rental car up AK-3 to Fairbanks a day prior to our jump flight. Looks like about a seven hour drive on the map. Question is....for early September, is seven hours realistic from the normal road condition/weather conditions for the area?

Just trying to maximize the experience here. Flights to Anchorage are quite a bit cheaper than Fairbanks and I've been told more consistent for that time of year as well. Figuring the drive should be quite scenic as well.

Appreciate any and all feedback.

7 hours is realistic drive time from Anch to Fairbanks.
    BK

Yep, 7 hours is very realistic for the drive time. If you plan on fishing the streams along the highway the salmon will be pretty much done. You will need to spend some time on the various streams to catch anything.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

No one can predict exactly what the weather will be like tomorrow let alone in September. However, as bk stated, 7 hours is realistic taking your time. Snow doesn't usually happen that early. Its not a "highway" as those in the lower 48 are use to but it is a nice drive. If its clear you can get great views of Mt. McKinley. I have to go up on 27 Aug and back to Anchorage on the 29th.

Thanks guys.

I'm actually considering at least one day on a charter boat. Haven't locked down our bou dates yet, but have it narrowed down to either the first or second week of September. The fishing day(s) will be on the front end.

Airline rates to Anchorage appear to be much cheaper than Fairbanks. Makes renting the car sound even better. Promised myself to not get in a hurry on this trip.....so extra days are not a problem. Just want to soak it all in while I'm there. Fishing, site seeing (drive), and caribou hunting.....sounds like quite an experience to me! Reality is....we're thirteen months out. Going to be a LONG year.

The drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks is no problem in 7 hours. You will not be fishing in SE by flying into Anchorage, it is an entirely different part of the state called South Central.