Thread: Deshka landing blind corner!

Default Deshka landing blind corner!

When pulling into Deshka Sunday from down river. I had noticed there is a lot of down and over hanging brush and trees blocking the view of the launch. right about that time here comes the typical know nothing that's full tilt right outta the launch. Not that close of a call but coulda been. within minutes I witnessed this happen again with two other boats! Just a little friendly advice to watch out when coming in or going out of D/L... You think with all the money we spend there they could send someone down with a chainsaw to rid the probelm but guess safety is not a concern.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yentna_rat View Post
    When pulling into Deshka Sunday from down river. I had noticed there is a lot of down and over hanging brush and trees blocking the view of the launch. right about that time here comes the typical know nothing that's full tilt right outta the launch. Not that close of a call but coulda been. within minutes I witnessed this happen again with two other boats! Just a little friendly advice to watch out when coming in or going out of D/L... You think with all the money we spend there they could send someone down with a chainsaw to rid the probelm but guess safety is not a concern.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is not D/L Property. You should see the hoops they go thru for the launch dredging every year.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Correct it is not DL property it is State of Alaska property.

If a Deshka employee were to cut it down guaranteed that a business competitor would turn them in to the state.

While we are on the subject of safety…..

While at the mouth of the Deshka this last week, fishing out of our boat with four young kids, we had several people blast by us less than 50 feet away causing large wakes, (in the no wake zones). These so called boaters had no regard for anyone’s safety.

So folks please slow it down when you go through the no wake zones and use common sense when passing other boaters.

I always throttle down and motor up the far left of the su till I get a good view of the launch are then cut over but that is a good warning

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Correct it is not DL property it is State of Alaska property.

If a Deshka employee were to cut it down guaranteed that a business competitor would turn them in to the state.

While we are on the subject of safety…..

While at the mouth of the Deshka this last week, fishing out of our boat with four young kids, we had several people blast by us less than 50 feet away causing large wakes, (in the no wake zones). These so called boaters had no regard for anyone’s safety.

So folks please slow it down when you go through the no wake zones and use common sense when passing other boaters.
    I liked it when they had the no wake zone markers in the middle of the river and it made it clear where it was....now not so much and for those who do not spend alot of time on the Deshka they would have no clue. You find not many that do not realize that they are responsible for the damage their wake does.

Since we are talking safety things, beware of those that are anchoring up in the navigable channels and impeding boats from being able to run the river. Also those that are standing waist deep in the channel. One particular area that has been real bad this year is the left channel right below Airboat Hole. For those that do not where that is, it is the one where you have to take the narrow channel on the left around a small island on the right and then there is a big sweeping left turn that's deep and there is a porta potty on the left going up river. That little narrow channel is where most boats need to run, at water levels below 2.0 at the weir there is no way for you to go thru the wide side on the right. The one other spot is just above that hole it's the narrow channel that breaks left. Water has been real low and if anchoring, a little extra caution needs to be taken as to not impede any of those traversing the area. If you are not sure where the channel is then stop and watch there will be a boat along before long. Do not expect anyone to put their boat aground just to avoid running the channel.

I always called that one "silver hole" I like taking the middle path through the islands... its the most fun
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Right on Spinner!

Most of the people that we have had “wake issues” with are Deshka regulars that should know better.

IMHO anytime you are at the mouth of the Deshka and there are boats there or you are going past the docks, boats, or aircraft that are on the bank common courtesy would be no wake.

Often times an airboat makes little to no wake while on step and it's far more considerate to cruise by behind and island or to the far side away from the fishing boats. This keeps the noise to a minimum as we cruise past quickly vs. lumbering by at 1/2 throttle pushing a wake. Remember, if the winds blowing I am now using MORE throttle and might be throwing a wake just to make any forward movement at all.
    I'm not defending someone in any boat throwing a wake, don't get me wrong. However, the signs say "NO WAKE ZONE". If that means I can cruise by at 25 mph w/a 6" wake and be through that zone in 20 seconds it makes sense to do so. OR I lumber through making the same 6" wake for 4 mins with a much louder exhaust note to deafen you.
    Personally, I use common sense and cruise through if there is no one fishing. If it's busy I come off step and try to be considerate of the fisherman, but I know they don't like to hear me for minutes on end going by slowly.
    BK
    Remember, the sign says "NO WAKE" not GO SLOW or be quiet and idle.....

Don’t want to start an argument here but I have been “waked” by airboats on step, generally not as bad as a prop or jet boat. Airboats put out more wake than their operators may realize. Personally I appreciate it when the airboaters idle past me at the mouth of the Deshka they are quiet and leave no wake. (I do understand there are times it is not safe for any boat to go off step.)

I almost always have several kids in our boat when we fish the mouth of the Deshka and regardless of whom it is wake tosses them around. Have almost lost them out of the boat on several occasions. Even though they know to sit down or brace when there is wake they do get wrapped up in fishing and don’t always notice or are busy when the wake hits. Most of the time they think it is cool to be rocked by wake but twice we had one of them knocked over in the boat and end up with a big goose egg on the noggin.

When up river we expect that everyone will stay on step, no problem

Airboats are really not that loud at idle nor is my jetboat. Throttle either up and both can annoy most.

As to the facts of the creation of the no wake zone at the mouth.....it was developed to prevent conflict of boats banging into each other at anchor AND because of the congestion thru that area. It originally started right about the bottom of the island, then at one point, but only for a short time, was about 150 yards lower, to what it is now. If it's regulars blowing thru, shame on them, if you get a boat number file a report. If you get a boat number and video even better. Lately, when running that way, I have been using my helmet cam. Have not used any videos as evidence but it does seem to help elminate some of the extreme attitudes when they realize they are on film.

I, too, can travel on step and leave very little wake, less then 6 inches running lite, but I am sure you would not want me blowing thru at 50+ mph either. Big thing to remember is that boats do not have BRAKES.

More wise words from Da Spinner!