Thread: Berger hunting VLD's

Default Berger hunting VLD's

Who is using Berger bullets for hunting bullets and what has your experience been with them. I use them for my 300WSM, 270WIN, 308, 30-06 and 7mm REM MAG and like the performance. I think I like them best in my 7mm. I'm waiting to get some for my 338WM.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I have used Berger VLD's in my 243win, 308WIn and 338 Lapua. The 243 hasn't done well with these bullets yet, it prefers Ballistic Tip Nosler's. The 308 loves the 175gr VLD and the 338 is really good with the 300gr Hybrids for long range target shooting.

As far as hunting is concerned I have only used the 308 with the 175gr VLD load on White Tails with a HUGE exit hole. I have no further plans to use the VLD's on game.

Your comment about using Berger's in a 338WM has me puzzled. The only 338 Berger I'm aware of is the 300gr Hybrid and it's very long. According to Berger it has not been tested on game.

Barnes makes a 285gr boat tail TSX. It too preforms well in my Lapua and will do the job on game. I'm not sure if a 338WM will like the length of those bullets stealing the powder space.

Berger has the 338 300g hybrid OTM but I'm waiting to see if they come out with something else. My 338 is a T/C Pro-Hunter so it will be easier to mess around with the OAL than with a bolt gun. I took a 5'6" black bear a few years ago with my 300WSM using a berger and the exit was about the size of a golf ball. I'm hoping they come out with something in 338 that's a little lighter than 300g.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I'm hoping they come out with something in 338 that's a little lighter than 300g.
    I spoke with Brian and e-mailed additional questions last year when the Hybrid came out. I was working up a long range load for a training class. Brian had mentioned they had plans for a 300gr Boat Tail and a 300gr VLD.

They had experienced jacket failure in the Hybrid when pushed fast and their BC had missed the planned number. It was originally claimed to be .891 and they lowered it to .818 after it's release. I haven't had any additional communication with them but they just released new information on there web site about an improved tougher bullet.

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?p=224

I'm very happy with the Hybrid for a target load. I load it over Retumbo, CCI 250 and Lapua brass to 2750fps. Hits out to 1400 yards with my McMillan TAC 338LM are consistent. A couple of sighters and I can dial in 1800 yards at a training facility on the NW side of Phoenix with that load.

Not sure if this post will be much help but I load the Berger 168 grain VLD hunting for my 308 over 43.5 grains of Varget. Last summer I fired the best slow-fire group of my 30+ years of shooting. The rifle has a 20 inch Bartlein barrel and I laid it over a backpack and fired prone. Measured with my electronic caliper the 5-shot group was 0.391 from the side to side at an outdoor 100 yard range. Never had a group that good before nor since. At 100 yards I can keep it near the 0.5 inch mark much of the time when I haven't been drinking too much coffee and the stars are aligned in a perfect cosmic fashion. To be honest I know that I'll probably never shoot that well again but it's a goal. As you may imagine that group excited the heck out of me and I became a HUGE fan of the Berger bullet immediately. No, I have not hunted with it but Marshall has and it worked but the pictures showed a lot of damage.

MyTime

I shoot 190gr VLD for my 300WM. I consistently get .75 groups using cci primer, h1000, rem brass. I have shot 3 deer and 1 antelope using this load. All were complete pass throughs and 1 shot kills. I am thinking about trying out some 210 gr but not sure if I want to take the time to work up a new load for it.

So far I have shot 7 Great Grey Kangaroos, a feral cow, and a few feral pigs with the Berger 168 in a 30-06. I shoot 1000 yard F-Class with the same rifle. I know some folks who have shot brown bears and bison with them. I don't think I would do that. For my 338 Lapua I have used the 300 Grain Sierra Match King on gemsbok, elk, and zebras. I would do it again, and I'd probably shoot anything in Alaska with it. Bearing in mind that it isn't ideal for under 100 yard hits on bone.

I have used the 168(308 win) hunting bullets on multiple moose. My good friend has used the same bullet on moose and black bears. All animals died quickly with no tracking. The bullets were devastating on the organs. Some were pass throughs while others did not.
    All the animals were good broadside or slight quartering away shots (humane shots). I wouldn't plan on driving these bullets from tail
    to head (wouldn't do this with any bullet but that's just me). I'm a believer in them. Hope this helps.

I use the 210gr VLD in the 30-06 with H4831SC in Norma Brass with WLRM Primers

and the 168gr VLD in the 7mm WSM with H4350.

If u r getting exit holes use a lighter VLD bullet.
    Alaska

I've shot two blacktail and a black bear with Berger hunting bullets. The doe, I misjudged the range and hit high, just below the spine. She died immediately from the 6 inches of missing spine and back strap. I also shot a 4x4 buck at about 200 yards on a 45 degree uphill angle. The bullet passed through the heart, offside lung, and exploded in the offside shoulder. It ran about 25 yards and expired. The black bear was shot head on while standing leaving a softball sized exit wound out the back. Died in it's tracks.

While VERY effective, I just have a tendency to not trust a bullet that is designed to blow up. I will shoot the rest of my supply up on deer and bear, but I would go to a tougher bullet for anything else.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!