Thread: Seward Cohos from a Yak - July 30, 2011

Default Seward Cohos from a Yak - July 30, 2011

So after my limited success last weekend, no choice but to give it another shot. Launched out of Miller's landing area and peddled south towards Caines Head. Made it almost to Derby Cove before I turned around and worked that area.

All in all it turned out to be a great day. Hooked well over 2 dozen silvers, though I was on the water for 8 hours and keeping them on was proving hard at first. Swapped out my back 2/0 gamakatsu for 5/0 on my trolling/mooching gear and the hooks up almost became 100 percent. Seemed to go in flurries as you might suspect. Ended up with a limit mostly on cut plug trolled behind a fish flash, or when I found a school, I'd switch over and power mooch with just a cut plug and 3oz of lead.

I will say most of my fish came North of Tonsina Creek so they are in close.

On the way back, I decided I had extra batteries for the gopro so I burned some time trying to get some of the strikes on film right by the landing. Seems like most videos you never get to see the strike. Didn't quite turn out as well as I thought but at least you get the moment of three of the strikes on tape. Amazingly it took some time but the fish obliged!

Nice video. Looks like fun being out there in a yak without all of the crowds.

Kardinal, nice post, thanks. Do you know if I could rent those kayaks at Miller's Landing? And how far are you talking before you get to derby cove. I'll be up there with my wife, and don't want to put her through the ringer too badly trying to get to the fish... We took a couple of chatre's out os Seward last year, but I'd love to get into them the way you did.

You can rent the yaks form Millers. Derby Cove is right by Caines Head so it can't be much more than a mile form Millers', if that far

You can rent kayaks from Millers but I think they have sit inside. So you have to have some experience. Liquid Adventures next door has sit on tops but not sure they rent. They guide though.

My Navionics software says 2.5 miles to Derby Cove one way. I caught almost as many before reaching Tonsina Creek as I did past it. Troll till ya get a strike or two then mooch.

Everytime I got bored, it'd seem line I'd get a strike. It's easy paddling. Fish right near the shore except by Tonsina Creek. There are places a 100 yards out that I could stand in water ankle deep. Caines Head keeps most of the afternoon southerly wind off ya.

Thanks a bunch Kardinal. I hope it's something we can get into.