Thread: Whitewater guides on the Matanuska?

Default Whitewater guides on the Matanuska?

Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this question. Are there any good whitewater guiding outfits that operate on the Matanuska River? It's such a pretty area, and I love whitewater rafting...

Default Check out Nova

Here it heir Link.

http://www.novalaska.com/

Looks good... thanks! Any idea where their put-in point is anyone? Do they actually start upstream of the Lion's Head?

Their bread and butter run is Lion's Head Rapids. They put in on Caribou Creek which flows into Matnuska River just above the Matanuska Glacier. There is a public launch site on the upstream side of the highway, but they have a much better launch area on the downstream side. From there they run the bulk of the rapids, pull out at a secluded spot of revegetated glacial morain for lunch/dinner, and then finish an hour or two later with a pull out at Hicks Creek. It's a nice run, and they provide a good fun service.

This is a fairly mellow (class III to III+) run if the water is low (3 feet), but turns into a real blast at high water (5 feet). Like most glacial rivers, Matanuska usually doesn't get high until late June or July, and gradually tapers off in August. The river primarily rises with a series of warm sunny days. Rain doesn't affect it much unless it is a very long hard rain. Also, the water rises as the day progresses, with high water peaking in the evening from the day's melting. So the best runs are usually their dinner tours. A little more money, but well worth it.

This is awesome!!! I was thinking late June, on one of their afternoon or midnight sun tours. How early in advance do you think I should book?

I don't know. I'm sure they will tell you to book it now, "just to be safe," but I suspect even booking 2 weeks ahead of time would be enough most of the time. The problem is, they might have some group book the all the slots some for some night. I suspect summer solstice gets busy.

That said, I think I would take my chances and book three days prior, after looking at the weather report, and this site: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...ew=1,1,1,1,1,1

It's saying nearly 5' right now, but I suspect that's the ice talking. I know there's not much water flowing. For a fun ride, you're looking for something over 4'. Five foot levels are the real hoot, but it may not get that high until mid July, and after a week of sunshine.

Default Lions Head

Jim,

I just finished my raft frame, and was wondering about doing that run this year. I'm a bit out of practice, but have run class IV several times in the past. Is this a good place to start again and get back into practice? I have ran eagle river in years past, but it's a pretty simple run.

Chris

I think it's a great place to get back in. I would do it first with the water at about 3 feet though. That usually happens in June. It's pretty easy at that level, with a few holes and plenty of rock dogging. At 4 feet and up it becomes a real hoot. You might not see these levels until mid July, or even later.

I used to think it was all very easy until this happend: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page32a.html

Talking Yeah.. I'm no novice at floating upside down myself.

Lets see,
    Gunnison George, Co, Twice
    Westwater Canyon, UT,
    Split Mountain, Ut, Twice
    Only one under my command though.. **** shame, but it's the only one on video also..

The only "roll" footage I have is on Sixmile. It's some years old now, but still fun to watch. Ahhh, the memories.