Thread: Need some ocean advice

Default Need some ocean advice

I am planning on hitting the bay in either wittier or seward in another week or two. Its a small boat so I need to stay mostly in the harbor area so as not to get into the nasty chop. Its also an open skiff and I dont have a fish finder.

I would like to do some trolling for silver/kings as well as fish a little halibut. I dont need big ol barn doors just want to get into some ocean fish. My question is which area will be my best bet for smoother seas and good fishing with a back up for fresh water in case I encounter bad weather when I get down there.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

How small is small?? I have fished out of Seward for years in a 16' Klamath with 30 hp motor. You can do that trolling or fishing for halibut around the islands. Get out early and come back early. Watch the weather carefully and don't go out in questionable conditions. The biggest problem with the smaller boats is the limited amount of gear that you can carry along. If it is an open boat you will need adequate foul weather gear as well as the different fishing gear you need if fishing for multiple species

The thing about Whittier this time of year is you don't need to go much further than the harbor. The cannery (Great Pacific) alls there fish waste toward smittys cove and dumps it. Halibut are plentiful in the late summer right there. Silvers are showing up and they swim big circles around the head of passage canal swinging through the harbor like clock work. Whittier is only truly nasty on high pressure days when the wind blows off the mountain

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

well gear really isnt an issue. Its normally me and one other person and I have a pretty decent amount of room for poles and gear. Its only a 16 ft boat but it shouldnt be a problem. Whittier is a little closer so I like the way that looks. If there are plenty of salmon in there as well as the butts that would work.

What are the fresh water areas over there in case the weather gets bad on me and I have to cancel the ocean boating?

If you are talking about Whittier, there is no fresh water over there, save the multitude of mountain run-off streams. It's all very steep. There are no lakes or navigable rivers, really.

Like Fullbush said, there can be tons of good fishing right around the harbor this time of year. If the silvers are in, you just have to find and stay with the schools that mill around the head of Passage Canal. They can meander a bit, and sea lions often chase them from spot to spot, so it can take some searching.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    If you are talking about Whittier, there is no fresh water over there, save the multitude of mountain run-off streams. It's all very steep. There are no lakes or navigable rivers, really.

Like Fullbush said, there can be tons of good fishing right around the harbor this time of year. If the silvers are in, you just have to find and stay with the schools that mill around the head of Passage Canal. They can meander a bit, and sea lions often chase them from spot to spot, so it can take some searching.
    I wouldnt mind trying seward either. Just trying to gauge my options. A) for getting into some fish and B) for having a back up plan in case the water becomes too much for my little boat.

There are the Trail Lakes near Seward, though I have never really heard of anyone actually fishing in them. They are beautiful and would be fun to cruise around.

Seward and Whittier suffer similar problems, though, as far as freshwater goes. Not much that would be boat-worthy at all. Take a look at Kardinal's latest post about kayaking for silvers out of Seward, though. Within a couple of miles of the harbor and staying generally within some coves he did well....the same area should be fine for your boat in all but the worst weather.

Always check the forcast first when in a small boat. Seward up to 3 ft seas is fins with wind 10 knts or under. the seas at seward are more like swells. When going out of Whittier try and stay 2ft or under with 10 knots of winds. This is a good rule until you learn what you and the boat can handle. If you can try to find someone who is going down and show you the ins and outs.

Here is a link to the NOAA forcast. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/alaska/afcmz.htm

Here is a link to the charts as well. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml
    Charts 16682 for seward. 16705 for PWS West 16706 passage canal Whittier.

Hope this helps REMEMBER WHEN IN DOUBT CHICKEN OUT. NO ONE WILL SAY HE CHICKENED OUT BUT THEY WILL CALL YOU A DUMBASS IF YOU GO OUT AND SINK YOUR BOAT WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED ON SHORE.

GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.

Excellent post, FishKing. Couldn't agree more.

waytogo.gif

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    There are the Trail Lakes near Seward, though I have never really heard of anyone actually fishing in them. They are beautiful and would be fun to cruise around.

Seward and Whittier suffer similar problems, though, as far as freshwater goes. Not much that would be boat-worthy at all. Take a look at Kardinal's latest post about kayaking for silvers out of Seward, though. Within a couple of miles of the harbor and staying generally within some coves he did well....the same area should be fine for your boat in all but the worst weather.
    I saw the post on fishing out of the kayak. Very cool and inspiring. If he can do it in a kayak I think my little boat can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Always check the forcast first when in a small boat. Seward up to 3 ft seas is fins with wind 10 knts or under. the seas at seward are more like swells. When going out of Whittier try and stay 2ft or under with 10 knots of winds. This is a good rule until you learn what you and the boat can handle. If you can try to find someone who is going down and show you the ins and outs.

Here is a link to the NOAA forcast. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/alaska/afcmz.htm

Here is a link to the charts as well. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml
    Charts 16682 for seward. 16705 for PWS West 16706 passage canal Whittier.

Hope this helps REMEMBER WHEN IN DOUBT CHICKEN OUT. NO ONE WILL SAY HE CHICKENED OUT BUT THEY WILL CALL YOU A DUMBASS IF YOU GO OUT AND SINK YOUR BOAT WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED ON SHORE.

GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.
    I will keep up on the forecast. Thanks for the links. Dont have to worry about me not chickening out. If it gets nasty I bail. Im not totally stupid.

If your wanting halibut within a mile or two from the Harbor, Homer is your best bet. Anchor up on the protected side of the spit in 30 to 40 feet of water with a good chum bag and lay alot of scent and you will catch halibut. Or if its flat, hit the other side of the spit on the city side of the bay and anchor up. One of my supervisors pulled one in over 200 pounds in a Zodiak a couple years ago in about 40-50 of water. Don't expect fast action, but you will catch some. As far as silvers goes, the silvers are coming into Homer fishing lagoon on the spit and you can catch them trolling or mooching near the mouth of that area or you could hit Seward and run the shorelines.

Homer. Gull Island. Anchor on the downwind side where it's calm.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.