Thread: After Winterized

Default After Winterized

I winterized my boat this past fall. Is there anything I need to do before I head out???
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Depends

What kind of boat do you have, more specifically what kind of motor? Inboard/Outboard...mainly concerning fluids. If all you did was treat the gas and fog the motor then no not really, it'll smoke it up for a bit but you'll be able to go straight to the fishing grounds.

twin 115. I fog the engine, changed aal fluids and treated the gas with sta bil
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default should be good to go

put fresh gas in it, CHECK all the fluids one more time, just to make sure. Grab a spare set of plugs, just in case. AND RUN IT LIKE YA STOLE IT!!
    Well let it warm up a little too....

Default fuel filter

One of the things I like to do is change my fuel filter after running it a bit with the "old" gas, then I fill the tanks with fresh fuel. No matter what, it seems like water and crud gets into the fuel tank over the winter and I like to catch it in the old filter first.

Thanks. I also will run it here(at the house) for alittle bit before I put in in the water.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

For stern drives, do you change the plugs between when you start it up and take her out? Wonder if running on plugs that you fogged will affect performance or if it'll just burn off.

Fogging will burn off. I know I am guilty of not filling the tanks before storing but a partial tank of gas very likely will cause condensation inside the tank. Beleive me I've had water issues One day I'll learn. Rather than run it at home I'd just take it to the lake and cruise around but then again there are lakes open to motor use all over the valley.

This is my first season that I had to winterize it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default alaska grey

did you pull the plugs after you fogged the motor and spray directly into each cylinder? If so you need to pull your plugs and turn the motor over a few times to pump out the oil. can place a rag over the cylinders to catch most of it. Just all depends on how much was sprayed into the cylinders. If this is not done you have a high chance of blowing the rings caused from increased pressures in the cylinders. just some FYI. this is how i do my motors, it actually says on the back of the spray oil can.

I emailed whittier harbor and they have the Season Passes on hand already. I am going to call and buy one and then they will mail it to you.

no what I did (dewey's recomended) was I got a 1 gal tank. I mixed gas, stab and this foggin stuff. Then I took the hlsoe from the engine and put it in the gas can and ran the engine for 15 minuts.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    no what I did (dewey's recomended) was I got a 1 gal tank. I mixed gas, stab and this foggin stuff. Then I took the hlsoe from the engine and put it in the gas can and ran the engine for 15 minuts.
    Gary, I did the same thing. A buddy of mine has done it for years and said every spring it just blows fog for a few minutes and then clears up.

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Cool. So I don't have to do to much then to get her ready for this season!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Cool. So I don't have to do to much then to get her ready for this season!!!!!!
    Just need some warmer weather!!!!!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Boat

Gary don,t forget the part thats in the water , Iwould change gear lube in lower units, and check the water pumps inner housing, if you spend any time on the susitna that sand will eat away at the lineing inside . Even if there pumping fine something to think about, depends on how many hours also! We start with fresh ones, every yr, and keep the old for spares.

Default Boat

Gary don,t forget the part thats in the water , Iwould change gear lube in lower units, and check the water pumps inner housing, if you spend any time on the susitna that sand will eat away at the lineing inside . Even if there pumping fine something to think about, depends on how many hours also! We start with fresh ones, every yr, and keep the old for spares.

Before I put it up for the winter I changed all fluids and lubed every where I was suppose to.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK