Thread: How do i snare fox?

Default How do i snare fox?

Hi I am looking for a litle help on how I can snare fox, and how I best can trap mink.
    "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

I am sure if you google fox snaring you will find good articals with pictures on how and where to hang your snares to collect yourself some prime fur. GOOD LUCK!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Supporting Member

I prefer using 1x19x1/16" galvanized aircraft cable snares hard-wired to 11 gauge wire. 8" snare loop with the bottom of the loop perpendicular to the line of travel and approximately 8 inches above the hard surface. Try to hang them on the straightest portion of the trails and avoid "sky-lining" them (hanging them at the top of hills with no cover behind them to break up their outline). The brushier the trails the better.

I like to use the regular cable snares, the thinnest I can get away with. Even if there are lynx in the area it doesn't take much to kill them. With that said if you are wanting to get coyotes you will have to beef them up a little. But with that also said if you are going for fox you are closer to the ground and using a smaller loop than you would for yotes

I like to make the "hang 10 sign" with my hand and thats about the height I make the snare loop from the ground. As for a loop size I make them no bigger than 6". Think how big a fox is. If you make them to large you get them mid body.

Another thing is where you put the snare. I like to find rabbit trails in the willows or alders. You will always find fox on them. Look for any kind of hill. Hills are always the best spot to set a snare. Think about when you walk up a hill, you are always pushing harder and not as aware. Animals are the same way. They will push through the snare better.

I also like to use a cam loc snare. When I don't have time to make my snares I buy them from The Snare Shop on line. You can google it.

Finally if you are snaring over a bait pile and there are very defined trails you are better off getting as far away from the pile as possible. This goes with trapping near a den as well. You will get quick results but them it will die out quickly. Instead of getting a dozen fox out of an area over the season you will only get a couple.

good luck!

JMPO...i make my own snares. my set-up for fox, lynx, and coyotes is 1/16 1X19 galvanized aircraft cable. i put a cam-loc on them and 9 gauge swivels on the end. i tie off the swivel with 11 gauge wire and support the snare itself with 14 gauge wire. most people say its to small for coyotes but it really isnt, as long as you have good entanglement, so for that reason i make my snares 8 feet long to insure a good rap up and so they are DOA. heres the snare itself

As far as snaring the fox goes its not a hard process if you are on location..bait piles are your best bet. set you bait and wire it down and give it a week or two so the animals hit it hard and have good trails coming in and out of the bait. then go back in to your bait and set snares on the trails about 100-150 yards away from the actual site. then you have your blind sets which are very effective also.. if you have a snowmaching go through thick brush and set your own trail and any other small game trails around it (rabbits) and/or moose trails. this should get you results.

For mink its simple. make a conibear cubby. throw either a muskrat or chunk of beaver in the back of it and a little mink lure and let them do the rest. heres your basic design. (i like besisles) that was a heck of a lot of typing..hope it helps out!!!