Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who's going the extra mile?

Default who's going the extra mile?

Since we are getting so close to that magic day I was wondering. Who here is taking someone out for their first time hunting? or their first shot at a new big game animal? heck evan just tagging along?

I am taking my 17 yr old cuz sheep hunting. Took him up this spring & helped him get not only his first black bear but also a cinnamon phase & with a bow to boot. I enjoy hunting a lot but i have gotten way more excitement & enjoyment watching this young man go nutz getting ready for this hunt, he's taken my tony Russ book & watched all my hunting videos. calls every day & has some new idea that could save weight or help out. hikes every other night with a pack & is chomping at the bit to go. I see now what some of the old timers meant about having more fun seeing the young bucks chasing after game for the first time.

Taking my wife on her first sheep hunt if that counts....though she has been on a hunt or two now.

I'm letting a friend from the lower 48 tag along on a sheep hunt with my son and I. He even thinks I'm doing him a favor!
    It's my son's first sheep hunt, but he's killed plenty other stuff already.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Going on my first goat hunt this year, I never had the desire to go after one until just the last couple years, I drew a tag across the bay
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Going to take my girl on a deer hunt. Decided her first will be sorta luxury... the harder hunts can come later. And with the limits in Texas at five deer, the county she'll be in two bucks... It should be a VERY memoralable hunt.

Chris

Taking my 11 year old daughter on her first caribou hunt. Doing this as a horse back hunt/pack. She went on our horse back moose hunt last year and had a blast, but now she gets to be the shooter. She's pretty excited.

Taking my 11 yr old (turns 12 the first day of the hunt) daughter deer hunting on POW this year. Actually going to stay in a cabin and make this one comfortable for her and me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Taking my wife on dc001 caribou hunt. I hope she knows what she is getting into. It's her first hunting trip, although I will be pulling the trigger.

Taking a buddy on his first AK big game hunt. Bou and maybe moose next.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Taking my wife on her first sheep hunt if that counts....though she has been on a hunt or two now.
    You mean your taking her on her first sheep kill? I would have said successful sheep hunt, but every hunt is a success providing you don't come home with broken bones, and even that is an arguable point. Good luck to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    You mean your taking her on her first sheep kill? I would have said successful sheep hunt, but every hunt is a success providing you don't come home with broken bones, and even that is an arguable point. Good luck to both of you.
    Nope first sheep hunt. She's chased moose, grizz, goats, black bear, and caribou, but not sheep until we fly out on the 7th. Hopefully the evening of the 7th we'll be sipping on box red wine up in our intended valley several miles and thousand feet higher than where the plane is dropping us off looking at a bruiser we'll be watching for the next couple days until go time.

Going for my moose hunt...unit 24C. Outfitted with Joe Shuster...only 38 days...no that I'm counting...

Taking my ex-wife's boyfriend on his first big game hunt. Last fall he mentioned going hunting to get some organic meat for the family, and I talked him into applying for a Nelchina caribou tag. Turns out he has only killed tree rats with a .22 back in Kansas.

He also needs to borrow a rifle. Hmmm, the 338 might be just the ticket for a first timer. At least he is in better shape than me so he should be able to pack out my caribou as well. I can feel my sciatica nerve twitching already.

I'm taking a friend from the road system on his first brown bear hunt in a couple of weeks. Hard to know who is most excited, me or him, though his voice was as packed full of anticipation as any kid during our last phone call...

Should be a great trip.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My sister and her family moved back from Atlanta this January after 5 years. 4 friends of theirs from down there moved up with or right after them (must be our job market). The wife, oldest child and myself are taking Wendy out for caribou next weekend in Unit 13. She's a great southern woman, from major redneck stock (so hence, she gets along great with me) and I owe her for all the babysitting she's done for us. She's crazy stoked to go hunting, even though she cant pull the trigger. She's upset that she cant get a resident license yet, because she's only been here a few months. I love taking people into Prince William Sound or to the Denali highway who have never been there. We'll road hunt for caribou, hopefully fill my Tier I tag. Looking forward to that, big time.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Taking my ex-wife's boyfriend on his first big game hunt.

Ummmmm, so if he mysteriously disappears while out "hunting"......we dont know nothin......

I'm taking my uncle on his first caribou hunt on the 20th. He's the guy who got me into hunting and took me along a lot of times he didn't have to. This will be his first trip to AK and it's something he has been dreaming about since he was a little kid.

Just my way of paying him back.

Taking my youngest along after moose this year and bunnies after the snow falls.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Youngest daughter drew a goat tag this year, first year she could draw; I never draw a tag. Should be a good hunt.

Default My sons and my wifes first hunt

I am taking my son and my wife for spring black bear on prince of wales....they havent got a big game animal yet. My son doesnt know yet that and his first rifle will be his birth day present ( he will be 9). I am not shooting at all and am pretty excited. I will just be looking for good pictures and make sure they both enjoy the trip.
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast