Thread: Bears kills by the numbers

Default Bears kills by the numbers

Season is coming and even more bear threads will find themselves on our forums so the question how many.How many bears have you taken or been involved with the taking of. I've been with two friend on their taking of Browns. I have taken for myself a dozen now,two browns one grizz the rest blacks.Also involved in the taking of several brown town problem bears when a LEO.I have probably watched twenty or so bears being skunt out or salted and lips and ears turned.Talked to clients that took many of those bears as to gun and bullet type.I have had the advantage of living in a small out of the way town with some great local guides who in their own right could have fine books written about them.they learned to fly from Layton Bennett training along and guiding with folks like Duncan Gilchrist learning the ropes from Mr.Katzeek.To listen to Mr.Katzeeks stories of laying in Salmon streams with a spear waiting for a bear to walk over you so you could lift the spear and use the bears weight to carry the spear through it body. To have a chance to hear in Forrest Young's own voice on a old tape the story of his attack as his wife pours more coffee.Talk to Hess or Ralph Borders about their attacks.
    Finding a bear and shooting it is so much more after you have been around these oldtimers and listened to the tails seen the scars and been part of the campfire.Then you have a fair idea about the bear the hardship that can come from it.The thrill of hunting them is their house up close.To know guides that will show you a ten foot bear walking at two hundred yards and say we cut down and around and be sitting right on the edge of that far path when he steps on it and the client says I can take him from here.The guide is willing to say not that bear you won't its down there with him or I find you a smaller bear that hasn't earned my respect yet.

Lets hear some of the stories ya'll can tell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Come on folks like AGL4now and help share
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

one for me
    two for the wife
    one for the son
    Involved in 10 for wounded veterans that included 2 browns..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

7 For me - 1 with bow
    2 For my son - 1 with bow
    Skinned a bunch - 5 in one warm night
    Helped track and recover at least 2 dozen - finished off 2 wounded ones that the hunters feared going in after... Used a Rem 742 in 308 on one and a Rem 1187 with 1oz lead slugs on the other - both facing head shots. Tightens the ole "pucker" factor a bit when your peer into a dark mass of vegitation and see those beady black eyes looking back and then you realize its still alive and hurt and pissed...
    All Blacks....
    image002.jpgThis one dressed at 445lbs... Manitoba, Ca...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Come on folks like AGL4now and help share
    Not on this forum, not ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    one for me
    two for the wife
    one for the son
    Involved in 10 for wounded veterans that included 2 browns..
    Again thanks for your service and for what you are doing for other vets.God Bless

Smokey thats a very nice mount

I've taken 6 bears. I've also helped out on another half dozen or so.

2 grizzly's with the bow, one at 6 yards, the other at 25 yards
    1 brown bear with the bow at 5 yards
    2 black bears with the bow, one at 3 yards, the other at 10 yards
    1 black bear with the rifle at 30 yards

Love getting close to them bears!

Jerod you sure understand getting them where they live up close and personal,congrats on nerves of steel

Smokey thats a very nice mount
    A good friend of mine is a taxidermist and he would take my deer and bears, and whatever I took him, and take more time with them and enter them in an annual competition so I didn't mind him having them a bit longer. He had to use a small brown bear frame for this bear.
    This is a sow he also did for me...
    Farm 2010 001.jpg
    Wow Jerod - some major accomplishments for sure - well done! Looks like that first bear in post 8 you parted his scalp with a broadhead first to maybe make it a bit more exciting!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks guys. Smokey, that brownie was an old sow that was rubbed pretty good. She had a collar on as well that was put on in the mid 90's. I shot her a couple of years ago, so she was definately a teenager, but I never got an actual age from Fish and Game. The collar had grown into her hide and there were large infected wounds around the neck. I just wanted to get one with my bow, so I told myself I'd take the first good opportunity I got.

We spotted her walking down the beach on Admiralty Island as we were headed to Tenekee Inlet. I got put on shore to set up for an ambush. She went behind some rocks, so we tried to run up to a big rock outcropping to cut her off. She all of a sudden appeared in the treeline on the top of the rocks about 100 yards away and returned to the beach. All we could do was get down and stay motionless. It reminded me of Fred Bear's video of him shooting that big boar, but we didn't have the rock to hide behind. She ambled by us at about 20 feet and we were between the ocean and the bear. As she passed, my buddy whistled and she stopped quartering away. I was already at full draw and touched off the shot without much thought. She bolted to the top of the rocks, turned to look back at us about 35 yards away and fell over. The rush kicked in after she went down. Squared out at 7&1/2 feet and had a 22+" skull. Next time around I'm going for a big boy.

More than I can remember. The # is up there though for blacks and grizz.

grin....i gotta say that last line is a good one. lol. the closer the better for sure...if for no other reason than to be right there with them and knowing that chances are that in order for you to be sitting on his couch with him, he's probably made a mistake...a very satisfying experience for me and everyone that has experienced it with me. just to be a part of an experience a little different than any other endeavor in our sport...even in alaska with all our magnificent game, theres nothing quite like getting right in the middle of a big male's personal space and cleanly killing him. i've always thought it was pretty much the neatest thing to do on our continent...but then i've never been on a white bear hunt.........i dont do the numbers thing and truly havent sat and counted in a while...my experience with the bears in western alaska for the past few seasons is pretty well established in my albums, so i'll leave it at that...how many means little to me...doing it again and doing it well is much more intriguing. my fair share? sure. nearly enough? hell no! if i had my druthers i wouldnt stalk a bear under nine foot, and they'd all be close and clean...druthers are sneaky little *******s. but a guy tries for sure. here's to our continents greatest game animal...geez...i cant even contentedly pack for the the sheep hunt i'm leaving for in just a few days without thinking of my first brown bear hunt following it...ah well, sue me.
    Season is coming and even more bear threads will
    find themselves on our forums so the question how many.How many bears have you taken or been involved with the taking of. I've been with two friend on their taking of Browns. I have taken for myself a dozen now,two browns one grizz the rest blacks.Also involved in the taking of several brown town problem bears when a LEO.I have probably watched twenty or so bears being skunt out or salted and lips and ears turned.Talked to clients that took many of those bears as to gun and bullet type.I have had the advantage of living in a small out of the way town with some great local guides who in their own right could have fine books written about them.they learned to fly from Layton Bennett training along and guiding with folks like Duncan Gilchrist learning the ropes from Mr.Katzeek.To listen to Mr.Katzeeks stories of laying in Salmon streams with a spear waiting for a bear to walk over you so you could lift the spear and use the bears weight to carry the spear through it body. To have a chance to hear in Forrest Young's own voice on a old tape the story of his attack as his wife pours more coffee.Talk to Hess or Ralph Borders about their attacks.
    Finding a bear and shooting it is so much more after you have been around these oldtimers and listened to the tails seen the scars and been part of the campfire.Then you have a fair idea about the bear the hardship that can come from it.The thrill of hunting them is their house up close.To know guides that will show you a ten foot bear walking at two hundred yards and say we cut down and around and be sitting right on the edge of that far path when he steps on it and the client says I can take him from here.The guide is willing to say not that bear you won't its down there with him or I find you a smaller bear that hasn't earned my respect yet.

Lets hear some of the stories ya'll can tell