Thread: Alweld boat

Post Alweld boat

I have a 60hp short shaft 49cu in merc outboard and I'm trying to decide what Alweld boat to purchase and what options.I don't know what size of boat 15ft or 16ft and how wide. I would like the boat to run in about 4 to 6 inches of water on plane and to be able to haul 2 people and light load of fishing gear while running the(40hp) jet lower. I plan on running both jet and prop.

Default 98 veiwings no replys?

I'm looking for someone that might now whats the smallest boat that I can run a 60/40 jet on and run shollow . I don't want to have more boat than the motor can handle

Quote Originally Posted by AR river rat View Post
    I have a 60hp short shaft 49cu in merc outboard and I'm trying to decide what Alweld boat to purchase and what options.I don't know what size of boat 15ft or 16ft and how wide. I would like the boat to run in about 4 to 6 inches of water on plane and to be able to haul 2 people and light load of fishing gear while running the(40hp) jet lower. I plan on running both jet and prop.
    pm me!!...i think i may help you??

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

60/40 would be nice on a 1660. Would also work on a 1556 but it might exceed the hull rated hp by a quite a bit?

Be sure to get the Heavy Duty Gunnel Rail, Jet Tunnel, Extra Knee Brace and All Metal Transom.

That would power a 16ft flatbottom nicely. Crumm layed it out well.

I tryed PM ing you but the site won't let me. I thought about a 1660 or a 1560 . I just didn't know if the 1660 would be to much for the 60/40 merc

I tryed PM ing you but the site won't let me. I thought about a 1660 or a 1560 . I just didn't know if the 1660 would be to much for the 60/40 merc
    I had a 1660 that I powered with a 55mariner 2 stroke then installed a jet pump, it had wood floors and a steering consol, handled great and had an excellent weight to power ratio, ran very skinny water and hauled several moose, it would handle 1000lbs+. The last load I carried in that boat on the Wood river GMU 20A was a huge bull moose on the bone est 750lbs, myself dressed in hunting gear 215lbs, rifle and misc gear 20lbs, 20gal fuel 250lbs= 1255lbs est.... impeller and liner were new. I was never disappointed in it's capabilities.

This was a rivited boat btw, OMC Sea Nymph

Thanks for helping. I have a 1648 monarch (now SeaArk) riveted jon and I'm not sure what the max hp is on the boat and really don't know if would hold a 60hp . All I can read on the tag is 30hp with the max load with that hp rated motor.

Does anyone have a idea if the 60hp merc would work on my old 1648 riveted monarch jon? thought about just reinforcing the transom with 2 more knee braces. Its a good old boat but don't want to modify it and it not work out.

I have mercury 60/40 jet on a 1648 riveted lowe with out any mods it works good can easily hull 2 people, bull moose and all the your gear.

Does anyone have a idea if the 60hp merc would work on my old 1648 riveted monarch jon? thought about just reinforcing the transom with 2 more knee braces. Its a good old boat but don't want to modify it and it not work out.
    What is the side height?

16in measured from bottom to gunnel at a 90degree, or 19in from bottom to the gunnel measuring just the side .

Cool What size hull ?

I've run 48" bottom jons, they work but squat more than I like at slower speeds. A 52" bottom is a nice balance if you are
    worried about width. 16' or 18' ? Either will work. Load capacity will be similar with the same motor but the 18' will sit higher and flatter at slower speeds. 18' also offers more elbow room, however shorter boats turn faster.
    My current boat is a riveted 1652 Lowe with a Honda 50/35. Light and fun. Just wish I had a jet tunnel.

a 16, or heavy 15 or you will be over horse powered. the prop will be almost scary on the boat. and the jet will get you along fine with two people and will be a dog with three, unless you have a very light weight boat.

if you fool around a lot in 6 inches then a true jet tunnel will save you some times.

any boat will need a cavitation plate that extends from the bottom of the boat to oveer the top of the foot of the jet to get clean water to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madboater View Post
    I've run 48" bottom jons, they work but squat more than I like at slower speeds. A 52" bottom is a nice balance if you are
    worried about width. 16' or 18' ? Either will work. Load capacity will be similar with the same motor but the 18' will sit higher and flatter at slower speeds. 18' also offers more elbow room, however shorter boats turn faster.
    My current boat is a riveted 1652 Lowe with a Honda 50/35. Light and fun. Just wish I had a jet tunnel.
    Not trying to hijack here, but I'm also looking at your same boat riveted 1652 Lowe. Do you know what the weight is? I've looked on their website and it says 450 lbs., but that doesn't sound right to me. I called Lowe and they were kinda wishy washy on the weight. They said the weight also sounded high and probably got listed as a boat with options added??

Default prop!

I'll just run the prop when I'm running a little deeper water, (chopper prop!) There's a few unrespectful boaters on the river I run and they need a taste of the their own medicine! Just because they have a $ 40,000 boat doesn't mean they own the river. I'm just tired of them swamping small boats and etc. It'll be fun just to see what it will do with a prop lol might be to scary or danger to push it hard tho

I belive the old riveted 1652 Lowes were 300 to 325 lbs. I,ll reseach it a little more. My own boat is super light. No bench seats or
    pods. I think the boat, motor, 12 gllns of gas and battery it is about 700 lbs floating in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Madboater View Post
    I belive the old riveted 1652 Lowes were 300 to 325 lbs. I,ll reseach it a little more. My own boat is super light. No bench seats or
    pods. I think the boat, motor, 12 gllns of gas and battery it is about 700 lbs floating in the water.
    Has to be lighter than that. My welded 1452 alweld is:

Hull 340 lbs
    Yamaha F40 223 lbs
    12 gallons gas 72 lbs
    Odyssey battery 13 lbs
    Total 648 lbs

I imagine your battery is 40 lbs heavier and your motor is 5lbs more but the thinner riveted hull should make up the difference.

16in measured from bottom to gunnel at a 90degree, or 19in from bottom to the gunnel measuring just the side .
    I think 60hp in the wrong hands would be a bit much for that boat. If you are experienced and careful you could probably get by. I do know you wouldn't have any trouble getting water in it to wash out fish blood; -)

Default 1652

I had a Lowe 1652 with a 60/40 Merc. It works good. The hull was a little thin though.