Thread: Maintenance on a Royalex canoe

Default Maintenance on a Royalex canoe

Do you guys maintain the hull of your Royalex canoes by putting any finishes on them ? Any recommendations for Royalex canoe maintenance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed a manufacturer on the internet recommended a UV protectant. What do you think good idea or waste of time ?

Whether your canoe is Royalex or Royalite, always maintain a coat of preservative on it. A good UV protectorant will help slow the fading process and keep your canoe’s color looking bold and fresh for years to come. It also helps to maintain a slick finish which helps to deter scratches. We recommend PROTECTANT 303.

Warning! - Using a protectorant containing petroleum can damage the finish so make sure you read the label of anything you apply to the outside of your canoe. Solvents such as acetone will also discolor and damage the outer skin of your boat.

Give your canoe a treatment as often as it may be needed. For canoes stored outside, once a month is not too much. Canoes stored indoors will only need treatment once every six months or so. Don’t neglect to give the decks and gunwales some love. We do not recommend any protectorant treatment on the inside if the hull, as the floor of the canoe may become slippery and create a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Do you guys maintain the hull of your Royalex canoes by putting any finishes on them ? Any recommendations for Royalex canoe maintenance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed a manufacturer on the internet recommended a UV protectant. What do you think good idea or waste of time ?

Whether your canoe is Royalex or Royalite, always maintain a coat of preservative on it. A good UV protectorant will help slow the fading process and keep your canoe’s color looking bold and fresh for years to come. It also helps to maintain a slick finish which helps to deter scratches. We recommend PROTECTANT 303.

Warning! - Using a protectorant containing petroleum can damage the finish so make sure you read the label of anything you apply to the outside of your canoe. Solvents such as acetone will also discolor and damage the outer skin of your boat.

Give your canoe a treatment as often as it may be needed. For canoes stored outside, once a month is not too much. Canoes stored indoors will only need treatment once every six months or so. Don’t neglect to give the decks and gunwales some love. We do not recommend any protectorant treatment on the inside if the hull, as the floor of the canoe may become slippery and create a hazard.
    Tustumena,

I'm over here on the east coast in some sweltering 90 degree heat to see family. The royalex canoes around here that have sat for any period of time have some pretty serious UV damage due to setting out in the sun. They get faded pretty quick. I noticed that this doesn't matter too much up in Alaska. It must be the angle of insolation ( the angle of the sun which effects the level of UV)

http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/ritter/geog101/textbook/energy/insolation_sun_angle.html

That would be my best educated guess as to why I've been able to leave a royalex canoe outside for many years with no apparent fading in Alaska. I don't think UV protectant will make much of a difference in Alaska as the sun doesn't get too high in the sky during the summer months. If you live in a hotter environment closer to the equator....... the 303 would probably be a good thing.

I use aerospace 303 on my canoes and the inflatable religiously....Makes a world of difference in longevity....

Yes Sir!! I use 303 on plastic parts of ATV's, motorcycles, cars, trucks, airplane and so on and is better than Armorall in my opinion. Should also work great on a canoe

We don't use any UV product on our Mad River, but it's stored inside. Now that you've raised the question, I'll check into it a bit more. We have the wood trim model and MR says to unscrew the screws if the canoe is subject to freezing. I treat the wood on a regular basis.

303 is an incredible product. I have an OT Guide down in FL at my parents' house that I treat w/ 303 on every visit, and it still looks like brand new. It's 7 years old.

I've got 1980ish Old Town that's made out of something like Royalex. Bought at Gary King's back in the day. I think I washed mud off it once a few years ago! The thing has been dragged, banged, loaned to Boy Scouts and still appears bulletproof, although the shine has long gone. It does seem to have gotten heavier over the years...