Thread: DM690 Access - Healy Area

Default DM690 Access - Healy Area

A friend of mine drew this hunt. He's not too 'net savvy, so I offered to see what I could find out for him.

Anyone familiar with this area?

Is there access from the Usibelli Mine road?

TIA,
    --Mike

I drew DM 689 last year and the road from Usibelli will dead end at a gate, you unload and drive down and around the gate
    and back onto the trail. After folliwing the trail it drops down onto Healey Creek and you can ride the river bed as far as the
    water level will let you. My hunt was right there, but it looks like your buddies is on the back ( south side ) of the 689
    boundary. If you can follow the creek all the way up it looks like it will get you alomost to your area. But you will have
    mountains to deal with too. I hope this helps. Also the trooper told us if we hunt the right side of Healey Creek , you
    can only take your wheeler to the high water mark.

Thanks, MM.

Quote Originally Posted by missionman View Post
    I drew DM 689 last year and the road from Usibelli will dead end at a gate, you unload and drive down and around the gate
    and back onto the trail. After folliwing the trail it drops down onto Healey Creek and you can ride the river bed as far as the
    water level will let you. My hunt was right there, but it looks like your buddies is on the back ( south side ) of the 689
    boundary. If you can follow the creek all the way up it looks like it will get you alomost to your area. But you will have
    mountains to deal with too. I hope this helps. Also the trooper told us if we hunt the right side of Healey Creek , you
    can only take your wheeler to the high water mark.
    Is there legal access beyond the gate? If so, then why the gate? Just curious.

MM-

How was your hunt? Did you kill a moose? Did you post a thread? Link?

I shot a cow moose on the right side of Healey creek. Wasn't a bad pack maybe a quarter mile to the wheelers.
    I have no idea why the gate is there and never thought to ask the trooper. Saw alot of bear sign back there too!

Griz, black, or both?

DM 690 is part of the Wood River Controlled Use Area. It is non-motorized except for aircraft. If you are hiking in, it appears the best access point is where Moody Creek dumps into Healy Creek (about 2 miles up the road from the Healy Coal Plant). I checked the havest stats for that hunt last year. Not too promising. Out of 9 tags, 5 people hunted and no moose taken.

Saw those stats - a little disconcerting considering it's an anterless hunt.

I think I will go with him, and we'll be horseback so hopefully we can cover more ground and put a dirt nap on an excess cow.

Just doing our part to help with management.

DM690 is a cow moose hunt in the Moody River drainage, the area is part of the Wood River controlled use area. From Aug. 1-Sept. 30 it is closed to motorized vehicles. The only people I know that hunt the Moody use horses or airplanes. The Moody flows into the Healy just east of the Golden Valley Electric powerplant. If you go to the adfg website you can find and print a map.

Knew that information, but appreciate the post. Is the Moody glacial or clear water?

The F&G maps are just general. I'll try to find a better one.

It's my friends permit, so I'm also looking for information about black and grizzly bears, and wolves. Any intel on those species?

The road going up Healy creek is the old usibelli road which is why you can get around the gate that was mentioned. As far as those stats go I would think it just wasn't hunted hard. There is a trail going up Moody Creek that puts you on a large flat and then you are looking at copeland creek this is a good spot and can be glassed from the north side of Healy creek. Without horses I would hesitate to shot a cow much farther in. Good luck

The Moody is a clear running river,not glacial, but it can rise quickly in a storm. We have quite a few wolves and grizzlies in the area but few blacks. There is a guide that works the upper Moody pretty hard.

Appreciate the intel fellas. We're not afraid to put some miles on the ponies and sort of figured being nonmotorized, hunters may not have backpacked too far and thus the low harvest. We've done a few hunts putting 100+ miles on our mounts with little to show for it. We work hard for what we get (Hell, we're willing to travel up there from the KP!)

Are the guides initials CW? PM is welcome.