Thread: black bears along denali hwy in mid august

Default black bears along denali hwy in mid august

I'm Wondering if it's worthwhile to plan to do some black bear hunting along the denali highway and george parks highway in mid August.I'm coming up to fish for silvers but going to Alaska without a rifle is like going outside in the winter without a coat!I'd like to put a little hunt together,just love the country.Spot and stalk hunting black bears in the berry fields sounds real nice.I'd appreciate any advice and tips.Thanks.

Try south of Cantwell on the Parks Hwy. Mile 176 or so is the Honolulu Creek area. That's a good area for black bears, but it's still in the woods there. Pretty dense for glassing.

Thanks for the bear tip,everything helps.I would think if there's bears in the bottemland they'll be nearby in the higher country when the berries are ripe.

The Paxson side is more griz country than black bear country. I seen lots of griz there over the years but no black bears yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The Paxson side is more griz country than black bear country. I seen lots of griz there over the years but no black bears yet.
    yep, +1. Same here.
    The Denali Highway transistions to much more Grizz country as one travels East. As was said, concentrate more around Honolulu; but overall, there may be better choices for blacks elsewhere...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    ; but overall, there may be better choices for blacks elsewhere...
    Agree with Frank on this one- better spots than Denali Hwy...

If I wanted a black bear under spot and stalk conditions I'd head for the coasts of PWS. Most of the really decent black bear habiitat in the Interior is dense growth forest without many opportunities for black bears with spot and stalk hunting. Most of the black bears I've seen or heard of taken here are baited, called or simply shot in random encounters. By contrast, in a recent trip to Valdez I spotted 5 seperate black bears in a weekend, including one dink in my camp, and I wasn't even really glassing for bears with much gusto.

I've seen a number of bears along the coastal mountains feeding in berry patches up high around Whittier and Valdez as well as Turnagin Arm, Girdwood and the like to a lesser extent. If you want to pack rifle JIC you can capitalize on a bear encounter- go for it. If you want a decent shot at one you can pick a much more likely spot.

Thanks fellas,really appreciate it.With two precious weeks a year to hunt I want to make the most of it.I don't go just for the kill but it's nice to score from time to time!I'm thinkin maybe area 7 down on the Kenai?