Thread: Boat Rental in Seward

Default Boat Rental in Seward

Seems like this spring I remember seeing an ad for someone renting boats out of Seward, but I can't find anything on the Web. I know about Miller's but looking for something a little bigger than a skiff. Anyone know of any down there?

Homer and Whittier do, but Millers Landing is all I know in Seward for skiffs.

I was just thinking this weekend about that business in whitter. I was wondering how come there wasn't one here in seward. What do you guys think? Do you think there would be a need for this service in Seward?

I was thinking about this very thing this weekend. Do you think a service like this is needed down here?

Sorry, I thought I lost the first post so I typed another one.

It would be a nice way to buy a big boat and end up owning it at the end of a few years. Depreciate it as a business expense/asset and then sell it off to yourself and at a killer deal. The only downside is that it would be beat to heck. I looked at the 30 ft Kingfisher the guy has in Whittier and it has crashed into the dock a few times judging by the dents and scratches in it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I went to the Whittier boat rental site to look at prices.$650-$950 a day?Do you think they book out during the summer?

I am sure you would have to have one hell of a tough boat to make it a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    It would be a nice way to buy a big boat and end up owning it at the end of a few years. Depreciate it as a business expense/asset and then sell it off to yourself and at a killer deal. The only downside is that it would be beat to heck. I looked at the 30 ft Kingfisher the guy has in Whittier and it has crashed into the dock a few times judging by the dents and scratches in it.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to watch that boat come back in. I'd just be cringing the entire time. I've seen too many people crash into docks/boats in harbors to imagine joe schmoe in a rental 30 footer coming in hot....

Not a bad idea, though, for a business. You'd have to have significant capital to get it started, but I bet you could rent several 24-28' boats pretty much all of June, July, and August out of Seward. I personally wouldn't go with something as high-dollar as a Kingfisher, but something with a heated cabin and head for sure.

Spent the better part of a month working in Whittier this sumer and was surprised at how many days the rental folks had dry boats. I asked them about walk -up rentals at a discount,but they declined as the boats are owned by individuals and the rental/maintenance is managed by the rental outfit. Because of this, they have a set payout for each day of use and were unwilling to give a guy a break even though discounts are given for multi-day rentals.

Coho slayer I would think that a King fisher would be a the bottom end of the type of boat you would want.I would want some thing that is built like a brick $***** house.You know it is going to get pounded you had better have a boat that can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to watch that boat come back in. I'd just be cringing the entire time. I've seen too many people crash into docks/boats in harbors to imagine joe schmoe in a rental 30 footer coming in hot....

Not a bad idea, though, for a business. You'd have to have significant capital to get it started, but I bet you could rent several 24-28' boats pretty much all of June, July, and August out of Seward. I personally wouldn't go with something as high-dollar as a Kingfisher, but something with a heated cabin and head for sure.

so you are saying that each boat is owned by a different person and they rent them to the rental company?

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    Spent the better part of a month working in Whittier this sumer and was surprised at how many days the rental folks had dry boats. I asked them about walk -up rentals at a discount,but they declined as the boats are owned by individuals and the rental/maintenance is managed by the rental outfit. Because of this, they have a set payout for each day of use and were unwilling to give a guy a break even though discounts are given for multi-day rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Coho slayer I would think that a King fisher would be a the bottom end of the type of boat you would want.I would want some thing that is built like a brick $***** house.You know it is going to get pounded you had better have a boat that can take it.
    Yup...I guess my point is that I would get a much less "fancy" boat if I was renting them out. A very basic, built like a tank, aluminum cuddy cabin. Simple but watertight and warm, and able to take a beating without me chewing my nails off about it.

The little Hewescrafts that the Whittier boat rental place has seem just about right to me.

Pretty much. Thats what the guy at the rental outfit indicated. Guess they have to pay the owners a set fee for each day on the water, hence no discount for walk-up rentals. I had a day-off in Whittier so I inquired.

Insurance will be a problem. I had this boat set up for multiple trips and the owner stopped the rentals.. They haven't taken it off the website yet

http://www.cordovacoastal.com/boats.htm

They "dumbed" the boat down with a 60Hp bigfoot honda (or a yammi, I forget) so that it would only go at hull speed.

ABSOLUTELY perfect for what we were going to do, but the insurance company made it a no go.

I would love to find another set up like this on PWS or S.E.

I must be reading some thing wrong.They put a 60hp motor on a 30' boat?????

Nope, you read it right. Pushed it at hull speed.

Think trawler..