Thread: Help me understand the draw requirements

Default Help me understand the draw requirements

I live out of state and i'm trying to understand the drawing process for sheep. If I understand correctly, the application fee is $5 per unit applied for with a maximum of three allowed to apply for which would be $15. But I also see that you must purchase a hunting license in order to apply. Is this correct? Would I have to purchase an $85 hunting license in order to simply apply even though I would never use the license unless I drew the tag? This sounds strange. Also, if this is true, would it have to be a big game license or could I purchase just the small game license in order to apply for the draw and then purchase the big game license if I were successful?

Thanks for the help, everything seems pretty complicated....

You are correct that you have to buy a licence - a big game license - in order to apply for drawing permits. A bit strange, perhaps, but in reality it costs them far more than the $5 per app to administer the program and do all of the necessary game management behind successful hunts. I would also point out that a drawing permit is not required to hunt sheep in many parts of Alaska. If you're unsuccessful, it may be possible to hook up with a guide in a general tag area that has a last-minute opening or something of the sort. Of course, at that point the $85 license will be the least of your financial concerns.

-Brian

It states you must provide the license number for the year you are applying for or the previous year. As in for the 2007 hunts for sheep you had to purchase a 2007 license or have a 2006 license. So a long way to answer your question that yes, you have to purchase the big game license.

Bill brings up a good point. If you buy a 2008 license this coming winter, you can use that license # to apply for permits during the 07 winter drawing and the 08 winter drawing. You still have to buy the license, but instead of $85, you're splitting the cost between two application periods, thus it's only an extra $42.50 per drawing.

-Brian

Default Areas

In some ares is not a requirement that you need a "Guide Agreement" before applying too? Wasn't it Tok?

Sorry no regs. sitting around the desk today.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

pbwhite, Thanks for brining up this question. I moved up here last June and had the same question since I'm nonresident for another 3 months, but would be resident when the season actually occurs. But I think the others are correct, even in my situation. I'd have to buy the $85 license to apply for draw permits.
    It may seem strange to a lot of nonresidents, but like Brian M mentioned... it costs the department a lot of money to research and administer the draw hunts. If they didn't requre the license # to apply, the small amount they'd get back from the $5 applications wouldn't get them very far. And if they didn't require nonresidents to purchase a license to apply, then it is only the residents of Alaska footing the bill, and the nonres. would get off pretty easy. The current situation may feel like it sticks it to nonresidents, but the $85 would be a minimal cost of your overall hunt if you were drawn even once out of several application years.
    To me, it makes good sense after looking more into it. Good luck!

It may be strange but it really is very common. Not sure what state you are from but if you have any kind of a lottery tag system there is a good chance that a license must be bought to apply. In my state (Pa.) a good example is doe drawing tags. The difference is a resident license is a lot cheaper. The following are just a few of the states that require buying a license to apply for a tag:

Arizona - $152
    Idaho - $142
    Nevada - $142
    Oregon - $77
    Utah - not yet but I understand it may next year

The one that really bites me is Wyoming. No license required but it is $1900 to apply for a sheep tag. The money is taken for a few months and then all but $112 is refunded if you are unsuccessful.