Thread: Denali Highway

Default Denali Highway

I am considering doing this trip. Any advice?? What spare parts would you take along? Time frame 3-4 days??

Enjoy it!!!! I like to start on the Paxson side and finish at Cantwell, although both ways work. I have done it in a day and have done it in 3 days, depends how hard you want to ride. I would suggest to stay the Alpine View Lodge for a night (Clearwater mountains). Watch out for DOT working on the road, the area that they are working on will be soft and muddy. As far as spare parts, bring a patch kit and a couple of extra tubes. Make sure you have put some loc-tite on nuts/ bolts. I have always done it with have someone drive a car with equipment, and just meeting us at pre-determined points for lunch, camping, etc. At this time of year, expect variable weather with the possibility of some snow near MaClearn Summit.
    here is my 3 day plan
    Day 1: drive to paxson, and bike to Tangle Lakes Campground (20 miles)
    Day 2: bike to Alpine View Lodge (50 miles)
    Day 3: Alpine View lodge to Cantwell (65 miles)

I would avoid Holiday weekends, and early hunting season, As the dust from heavy vehicle traffic if the road is dry would suck.
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

Dittos on the dust, I've driven it and was thinking it would make a great ride. Doing the ride with just enough rain to keep the dust down would be a good thing. Having a sag wag would really make for a nice trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

frame mounted air pump/set o allen keys/bandana/tubes o course. Im looking fwd to this trip myself later in the year. when you going?