Thread: Garmin 740S

Default Garmin 740S

I installed a Garmin 740S this summer. I'm loving the system, it's really fast. The Radar overlay is great too. The only problem I am having is that some of the depth numbers on the maps are not accurate. There are some spots that it says one depth (140 feet for example), but we get there and it's more like 280 feet. I have found more than one area like this, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

My 740s is quirky at best. It will freeze up and you can't even shut it off, you have to turn off the breaker to shut it down and re-boot. The depths are not all that accurate either, plus the radar shuts down for no apparent reason. Even though theres so many negatives I still like my unit however I did re-install my trusty Garmin 498 because I can't trust a unit that the screen freezes up when I'm navigating through rock piles or following my track line on the flats at night.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I installed a Garmin 740S this summer. I'm loving the system, it's really fast. The Radar overlay is great too. The only problem I am having is that some of the depth numbers on the maps are not accurate. There are some spots that it says one depth (140 feet for example), but we get there and it's more like 280 feet. I have found more than one area like this, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.
    I have noticed some depth differences in the fishing chart, but the opposite not as deep as the chart indicates, no more than 15-20' though. Fullbush there was a hardware issue on some of the earlier radar units when used with the 740S, mine would work for a while and shut down, gave Garmin a call and they shipped out a replacement.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    My 740s is quirky at best. It will freeze up and you can't even shut it off, you have to turn off the breaker to shut it down and re-boot. The depths are not all that accurate either, plus the radar shuts down for no apparent reason. Even though theres so many negatives I still like my unit however I did re-install my trusty Garmin 498 because I can't trust a unit that the screen freezes up when I'm navigating through rock piles or following my track line on the flats at night.
    You might need to check for recall's on these 740s with radar and also need to update the firmware on the 740s chart plotter. If your unit is one of the effected unit then you will need to send in the radar to get it fixed.

Iíve had two GPSMAP 740s units shutdown and never power-on again. I installed the unit to primarily use the chart plotter features, so the transducer was not connected initially. The unit ran for several hours before I connected the transducer (model 010-10272-00 disconnected from a 240c fish finder) to check out the fish finder features on the 740s. Within 30 minutes after connecting the transducer, the 740s shutdown and would no longer powered on. I assumed the first 740s was a lemon, so I installed the second one with the transducer connected. 20 minutes out of the harbor, the second unit shutdown and never powered on again. I then reconnected the transducer to the 250c fish finder, and it no longer worked either. It only runs in simulator mode. I reset the 250c to factory settings and installed a new transducer, but it still only runs in simulator mode. I installed the third 740s, and it has been running well for several days without any transducer connected, which Iím hesitant to connect. The only other variable besides the transducer is I loaded the latest update to the third 740s before installation. Has anyone ever heard of a bad transducer harming a sounder or fish finder unit? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by onh2o View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a bad transducer harming a sounder or fish finder unit? Thoughts?
    If the load (transducer) is faulty then it could very well damage the power supply (740S) What did Garmin have to say about this? I assume the transducer was good as it worked with the older unit correct? I would also assume if the attachment plugs matched that they were also compatible.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I talked to Garmin about the 740s units shutting down and the 250c fish finder no longer working, and my scenarios were new to them. They hadnít heard of any units reacting as mine did. The transducer was working well with the 250c for several years, and it also seemed to working on the 740s until it died.

I was planning to upgrade to a 740S but now I'm yondering if I should. I have a sod story. I found out my 540S broken on a fishing trip.. I had a back up. (old lowance gps) That one was broken too. So I wasn't able go to my halibut spots. I scrapped fishing trip. I'm in the process of setting up my new ipad 2 has a chartplotter. And would be my back up. But now I'm at odds to upgrade 540S. I have a new garmin fuel sensor I want to install with 540S but I don't want to use stupid canet concection...

If you get a 740s my advice would be to have a back up unit. My 740s screen freezes up for know reason, and I have to ssshut the breaker off to turn it off because the power switch does not respond. Plus the radar is temperamental....don't get me wrong I love the machine, I wouldn't be caught w/o a backup...I'm gonna send my unit in and see if theres a glitch in it

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    You might need to check for recall's on these 740s with radar and also need to update the firmware on the 740s chart plotter. If your unit is one of the effected unit then you will need to send in the radar to get it fixed.
    Guess I should have read this before I posted....Thanks Luke

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    If you get a 740s my advice would be to have a back up unit. My 740s screen freezes up for know reason, and I have to ssshut the breaker off to turn it off because the power switch does not respond. Plus the radar is temperamental....don't get me wrong I love the machine, I wouldn't be caught w/o a backup...I'm gonna send my unit in and see if theres a glitch in it
    Why didn't ya just buy Furuno?? Seems like it keeps on working no matter. The radar on my old boat was a 24 years old and it still played fine when i sold it this year.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

I'm with Steve on this one. I wish I had the Furuno in my old Osprey in my new boat. Garmin makes a pos sounder IMHO. Mine locks up coming up into shallow water rapidly. What good it that?

Hereís an update on my broken 740s and 250c issues. The transducer seems to have been the problem. I replaced the transducer with the same model that was running for 12 years, and the 3rd 740s ran fine.

Good to hear ya got it figured out. I have a 740S in the boat I just bought and it seems to be really nice. Now I just have to learn how to use everything it's capable of doing.
    2005 Hewescraft Alaskan 260 MLC.
    Knot Too Shabby

MMSI# 338156119

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Good to hear ya got it figured out. I have a 740S in the boat I just bought and it seems to be really nice. Now I just have to learn how to use everything it's capable of doing.
    Do I have to change my picture now?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Nah. She was yours and your had a lot of fun on the water. I can't wait to get out and take my own pictures too.
    2005 Hewescraft Alaskan 260 MLC.
    Knot Too Shabby

MMSI# 338156119