Thread: Big Bears, shoulder or lungs for first shot ....

Arrow Big Bears, shoulder or lungs for first shot ....

I am not a frequent Big Bear hunter. You guides and others that are, what are your thoughts on where you prefer the first shot to go?

Prefer through both front shoulders and if not under the chin and out the tail hole for all bears as then tracking is not a problem and still plenty to eat.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The photos below demonstrate two ideal shot placements and the method for achieving them.

One fail-proof method is to work in a team of two and quickly get in front of the bear for a close-in chest shot. It's the surest way to stop the heart:

Another good method is to get in close for a head shot from under the chin:

Mind you, the guys in these photos are serious professionals, and you may not want to risk engaging in such hunting techniques on your own, until you too have developed nerves of steel.

Also, on the same guy, this shot placement worked well:

Attached Images Attached Images

Straight broadside, a shot thru both shoulders will also take out the lungs.
    Any kind of quarting away shot, aim for the opposite shoulder - taking out at least 1 lung on the way & (depending on the angle), maybe both lungs.
    Head-on is covered by the professionals pictured above.

Mine matched his last picture. Took both lungs and part of the heart. One shot, stopped 5 yards from where he was hit and laid down. Never moved from there. I wet my pants at least twice. The 1st and only shot was 37 yards, never seen him coming till that point.

Now realize a bears normal heartbeat is below 45 beats a minute. So make your 1st shot COUNT!! Taking the front shoulders will slow his progress it does not stop him and you will find that unless you are close and using a large caliber, you may find that the bullet only will take out one not both shoulders. Does slow them a little.

I did help skin out one bear that was shot at 100 yards with a .338. Found the 1st shot had hit the heaviest part of the shoulder blade and had never penatrated to the chest cavity. Slowed him enough for followups. The 2nd and 3rd follow up rounds were the take downs, 2nd thru the chest and 3rd to the hump. The 1st was uphill and last two were downhill going away.

Close is what you want as they are not dangerous game otherwise. You can hunt bear for thrill and meat or meat and saying you killed a bear.Two very different hunts for my ideals.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you