Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I keep my herring on my hook

Default How do I keep my herring on my hook

I am running a typical plug cut mooching set-up. Here is a link of how I rig the bait (http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htrh_pc1_index.html). I tend to lose a lot of bait. Any tips or tricks out there to help keep the herring on the hook so it last through the hit and at least hooks the fish?

Thanks
    -adfraiser
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Get your Herring the night before or a day or two before. Put it in a bucket, cover it with rock salt and let it sit. Your bait will toughen up and will stay on the hook 500% better. Also, your bait will last all summer if kept in rock salt so you don't have to throw it away or refreeze it. Works well for herring for halibut fishing also.

Yep, brine it up!!!!!
    The salt toughens them up quite a bit.
    Here's a good recipe.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

Couple thoughts:

Stick that back hook into the herring, no reason to leave it dangling and if a fish hits and knocks the front hook out, if the back one is still in, your still dragging the bait, the fish WILL come back for it as long as it didn't get stung by a hook.

Second, forgo the cut plug all together and drag a herring or needlefish fly or hoochie and put a strip of hearing on the hooks with it. You get the attraction from the fly/hoochie and the smell of a real herring. I usually fillet the herring and then split the fillet in half. I end up with 4 baits from each herring and 1/4 of the bait bill!

Not sure how your fishing but this works best trolling but will work mooching as well.

I'm kinda the opposite of limon....I say use the entire herring, blue label size seems about right. Use a sliding hook mooching rig. Put the top hook in through the gill plates. It'll do the pulling and that's about the toughest part of a herring. Loop the line over the back of the herring and stick the trailing hook in from the opposite side through the spine. Pull the line tight enough to put a slight bend in the herring, which will cause it to have a nice spinning/wounded fish action.

I mooch like this all the time, and it kills.

Here's a tip I got for when you are running out of bait when running cut plugs. When making your cut plugs, cut off the head with a little more of the body still attached and save it. Then on one of the rods use a single 3/0 to 5/0 gamakatsu and rig it so the hook goes through the mouth from the side and then back through the gill plates. When trolled through the water it should spin like a spinner. A lot of times, they will out fish the cut plug! You end up getting two baits out of one and the only sacrifice is your cut plug is a half inch shorter.

Just leave the herring at home and go with the real deal. I've been accused of being a spokesman for the company, I just find it works better than herring at least 2 to 1, especially given your original question of how to keep bait on the hook, with this rig I know there is no question I always have bait in the water. Just super glue that back together and don't worry about scent stuff. Try it, you'lll never go back to the "real thing"

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=brad%27s

Here's how I do my rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Here's a tip I got for when you are running out of bait when running cut plugs. When making your cut plugs, cut off the head with a little more of the body still attached and save it. Then on one of the rods use a single 3/0 to 5/0 gamakatsu and rig it so the hook goes through the mouth from the side and then back through the gill plates. When trolled through the water it should spin like a spinner. A lot of times, they will out fish the cut plug! You end up getting two baits out of one and the only sacrifice is your cut plug is a half inch shorter.
    Now that's truly new and innovative! Never heard of it or thought of it, but I'll sure give it a try---- especially late in a day when I've run out of herring.

Everything that follows is about king salmon:

On the broader topic of curing, we use kind of a 2-step approach. First day we don't cure, but leftover herring goes into a cure overnight to toughen for use the next day. I tinkered a lot with the Salmon U cure this summer, and finally settled on 2 cups of salt to a gallon of water, and the heck with the milk and bluing. Seems to catch fish just as well, not so dependent on having extra ingredients on hand, and if anything results in longer-lasting baits. One thing that's really handy- make up your batch of cure ahead of time, then transfer it to milk jugs. Any time you want some cure, just pour half a gallon into a gallon ziploc and add a couple of trays of herring overnight. It goes a lot further in terms of herring per batch, lets you do smaller batches of herring, and is sure a lot easier to store than a big batch. We haven't done as well with straight salt dry cures, but maybe we're doing something wrong.

We use the Salmon U rigging methods with no complaints on freshly thawed or cured--- but if the herring is soft nothing works. Best thawing for me is in the refrigerator overnight, then kept on gel pack ice in one of the small size cloth "ice chests" just big enough for 3 or 4 trays and the gel pack.

We find cut plugs are DEADLY for pinks. I.e., once they show up we basically have to quit using cut plugs and switch to whole herring. Brads Superbaits are great for kings too until the humpies show up, and they catch pinks even better than cut plug. Even whole, blue tray are still within the size range loved by humpies. We switch to whole purple label, and even black label when we can get it. The only cut plug that seems to really get around pink salmon is the black label or the big "horse" herring from local waters. Those definitely need to be dry salted overnight or the bellies blow out after an hour or so of trolling.

We cut our strips for use with hoochies from the large local herring- filleting first then cutting into 4 long strips per side. They're still so long that we cut those in half too most of the time. That's 16 baits from one herring. We just use kosher salt or pickling salt rather than rock salt. BTW- Those strips are also ideal for tipping your jigs. Stay on much better than fresh herring.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Just leave the herring at home and go with the real deal. I've been accused of being a spokesman for the company, I just find it works better than herring at least 2 to 1, especially given your original question of how to keep bait on the hook, with this rig I know there is no question I always have bait in the water. Just super glue that back together and don't worry about scent stuff. Try it, you'lll never go back to the "real thing"

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=brad%27s

Here's how I do my rig.
    I used those this weekend out in PWS and they worked great. I used a small strip of herring inside it for scent. Fished one side-by side with another rod using whole herring and I don't think I noticed a difference in performance...but what I loved was not having to reel it in to check the bait when getting a strike and a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    ...but what I loved was not having to reel it in to check the bait when getting a strike and a miss.
    And dat's da truth!

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I used those this weekend out in PWS and they worked great. I used a small strip of herring inside it for scent. Fished one side-by side with another rod using whole herring and I don't think I noticed a difference in performance...but what I loved was not having to reel it in to check the bait when getting a strike and a miss.
    More time in the water means more fish. That why I love it for mootching. Always know its ready to roll. When you are in the silvers I think just about anything will work and work well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Brine them with a very salty solution, and KEEP THEM COLD!

Thanks for all the info. There are many excellent suggestions here. I think I will have to try them all! I love trying out new things set ups.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

tlingitwarrior:

Where do you pick those plugs up locally? I may have to add some to my arsenal this year and give them a try. When mooching them, do they need added weight or do they sink on their own?

You won't ever catch me brining any herring. I like it semi frozen, but I still catch the **** out of fish with warm, soft bait.

You guys getting any hawg kings on those things? Or just feeders? It'd be hard to leave the herring at home when the big kings are lurking the kelp beds...
    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=brad%27s

Here's how I do my rig.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    You won't ever catch me brining any herring. I like it semi frozen, but I still catch the **** out of fish with warm, soft bait.
    Actually, that brings up a good point.

I almost always start with a frozen or mostly frozen bait. It gradually thaws in the water. Frozen definitely keeps it on the hook better, and it's kind of a timed-release scent thing. Once it's good and thawed and waterlogged, I change it up to fresh bait.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    tlingitwarrior:

Where do you pick those plugs up locally? I may have to add some to my arsenal this year and give them a try. When mooching them, do they need added weight or do they sink on their own?
    http://www.bsfishtales.com/locator/r...nchorage&name=

LOL

Ok, thanks Drifter.

Pretty much everywhere, apparently. Why have I not used these before??

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Actually, that brings up a good point.

I almost always start with a frozen or mostly frozen bait. It gradually thaws in the water. Frozen definitely keeps it on the hook better, and it's kind of a timed-release scent thing. Once it's good and thawed and waterlogged, I change it up to fresh bait.
    I hate salted/brined herring. Completely unnecessary IMO, and it's brutal on the hands if you are baiting 12 dozen a day.

You can do all the stuff you want to your herring, but it doesn't make a lick of difference when it comes to catching or keeping it on the hook. Keep it in the packaging, in a small cooler, and it'll stay semi frozen for 2 days. It's actually perfect on day 2. If you can't keep it on the hooks, you either are starting with junk herring or you don't know how to rig it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast