Thread: Return to bull moose hill.

Default Return to bull moose hill.

A very long time a go I would set up camp and scout the area, one year I came upon a place that had moose trails going in every direction at the end of each trail there was a pit and named it bull moose hill there was seven pits over a 150 yard area. What I had found was where bulls gather before looking for cows. I came back several times and never found the amount of activity I saw the first time. I did not go very far in because we were hunting a different spot.

Every year I have thought about going back and make a real effort to hunt the area the gps now makes it possible to not get too lost and learning how to stalk moose in heavy brush makes the hunt possible even though I still have a problem getting busted.

The bulls will be in the area for a short time in late August to early September if itís possible to find them the area is a mile square. My hunting partner can not hunt the early season and I canít handle a moose by myself.
    I have been thinking about just going in and take pictures of what I find if I canít find someone who is proficient in stalking, calling and determine a legal bull in a split second. Knowing how to use a gps and compass to keep from getting lost, Iím not kidding. I have a Garmin 60 sc and in heavy timber I loose signal making the gps useless, another problem I found using a gps is, I loose my sense of direction the compass keeps me on track.

If you are a non-smoker, donít drink in camp, live in the Anchorage, Eagle River, or Wasilla area, easy going (some one has to be), and interested in going with an old man let me know. A walk-in or solo hunter is not a problem, if you do not have a vehicle I can supply one. Because of getting busted so many times I would prefer a rifle hunter.

One other thing I run a cold camp, not because I want to there no place to build a fire and I will be surprise if we can find a flat spot to set up camp, again not kidding.

I been told itís best to save the good new for last, itís take the sting out of any bad news, if we take an animal we will not be packing it out (I hope).

Moose

When and for how long, RM?

Taylor

I would like to do a scouting trip Aug 20-21. Then go hunting Aug 25/27 through 30 it all depend on what we find, at this time it all up in the air.

Mark:
    In case you are wondering it not where you were told stores about; xxxxxxxx has never been there. If he could go I would not be looking for someone.

sent you a PM