Thread: Cottonwood snaggers

Default Cottonwood snaggers

The weekend fishery at Cottonwood is a snagfest. It's funny, every single fish you can hear caught at Cottonwood Creek somehow never ends up back in the water. Yet I caught countless fish with not a single one caught legal INSIDE the mouth. I can't even count how many times I've heard "looks like the mouth to me". Just about every person leaving there has their limit somehow and I guarantee 85% of them (maybe more) snagged all 3 of their fish. It may not be that they're intentionally snagged the fish, but they foul hooked the fish and kept them, when they should have been thrown back. I was foul hooking fish all day while trying to catch them in the mouth, but I throw them back unless it's inside the mouth. My buddy does the same there and actually called the troopers yesterday. There needs to be much more of a trooper presence at Cottonwood, or else the lawlessness will never end. It's impossible at Cottonwood not to foul hook fish, and maybe there should be some adjustments to the law, but the present law is all we have. If I have to follow, so should everyone else. It's the most aggravating thing, to see all these people leaving with their limits while you're working your butt off trying to get one legal. Anyways, just a bit of a rant. Thanks for listening.

I found it quite easy to hook fish fairly when I was there last. It has been a couple years but I doubt it has changed.

That's how it is there. There was a trooper there yesterday checking fishing licenses. All my catches there are legal. I do feel bad throwing them back sometimes when they are foul hooked because sometimes they end up dying fast and that is usual why people keep them illegally.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

If you have a cell phone that can record video. Record them snagging and keeping their catch. Then show the troopers or better yet post it to YouTube. Then post a link to the video, on this forum. What an emberesment that would cause... I'm going to start doing this, because I'm sick of the King count getting lower every year. I watched three guys snag Kings at willow creek. They kept everyone of them. They must have had 15 fish in there cooler. I called it in and troopers never showed up. I suspect Jim creek to be out of fish in the next 5 years. It's only a matter of time.

I'm sure it was just poor people from the valley trying to feed their starving families. There's no such thing as a need for more troopers. We need less not more! And I'm sure instead of calling the troopers you could have just had a "neighborly" talk with them to inform them that snagging is illegal and everything would be just fine! (every bit of that is pure sarcasm of course) I went down there once last year and saw the same thing. Disgusted me. People's greed astounds me sometimes. "At least I got mine. Don't care about anything else." Absolutely need more brown shirts in the field.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Just got back from going out today. It wasn't as bad as yesterday except for some girl who had absolutely no etiquette at all. There wasn't even a lot of people there, but she comes and starts casting in the little hole that I'm fishing. I almost whacked her with my fly a few times and ended up telling her to move. So, she moved about 1 foot down, and she was blatantly snagging. She would pull them right up on the bank where people were walking by and club the hell out of them, when she still had the hook in its stomach. Man, I wish a trooper would have strolled by then. I don't have a video camera on my phone, that would of been a great opportunity to use it. It'll never change, people will be idiots until the end of time.

The trooper hotline is in the regs, and I know you keep a copy in your tackle box. Maybe with multiple calls they will be down there more often and make people be a little more honest about thier fishing methods.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

$130 fine for keeping more than a limit or keeping snagged fish. That's it. Troopers just aren't going to waste time finding every snagger so they can write a ticket. I'd rather see them on the roads keeping drivers in tune.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Somehow I thought the fine was higher, is that per fish maybe? I read in the newspaper somebody got fined $790 and fees.... But I couldn't find it again. I do agree something ought to be done, and I have seen the fish cops out and about.
    I didn't have a boat with me, and I was asked if had life preservers for all three of us once this summer. I told him "no, but here's yer sign". He said was told to hit the boat safety harder for the weekend (?) question mark was mine.

Chris

I would rather see wildlife troopers checking licenses and busting snaggers than patrolling the highways. The AST is divided into two groups, the law enforcement, and wildife division. The wildlife guys are supposed to be busting snaggers and checking licenses, so the other guys can keep the drivers in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I would rather see wildlife troopers checking licenses and busting snaggers than patrolling the highways. The AST is divided into two groups, the law enforcement, and wildife division. The wildlife guys are supposed to be busting snaggers and checking licenses, so the other guys can keep the drivers in tune.
    If you have driven the Sterling Highway any time recently, you might feel better about having Troopers bust the bozos wh pass on hills, curves and pass you even though you are going the speed limit plus. I wish there were more of them, and that I saw more perps pulled over and publicly humiliated in front of passing cars.
    Yes, I too hate snagging and "fish kickers". I love to see those people busted as well.

What are the hours of fishing out there? I took my dog for a walk out there tonight thinking it was closed to fishing and ran into several people on the river. It was close to 10pm when I was down there? Tons of fish in the creek!

You got this partially right.

AST is divided into two groups. That is correct. However, both are law enforcement groups. There are the Troopers, the ones typically on the roads, and Wildlife Troopers. Wildlife Troopers are ALL fully trained Troopers. AWT are all trained alongside AST. They are, in fact, AST before they are allowed to be AWT.

Alaska Wildlife Troopers are fully sworn and functioning Troopers. They can enforce every law, whether it is a traffic violation, homicide, or a snagger. Their PRIMARY function is as Wildlife Troopers, but they can and do respond to a full range of calls.

The hours are 6am to 6pm, if you saw people fishing out there at 10pm, they are poaching. I would let them know the hours and if they still don't stop fishing I would call the troopers.

Its a great spot to walk my english spriner spaniel. He loves ducks! I take him down there a couple days a week usually in the evenings and let him have a blast. I couldn't remember if the hours where 6am-11pm or 6am-6pm. Thanks. I'm not much for calling troopers but I would tell someone that its closed if I see them fishing again. There was a trooper actually pulling into the parking lot the other evening when I was leaving.

The hours are 6am to 6pm, if you saw people fishing out there at 10pm, they are poaching. I would let them know the hours and if they still don't stop fishing I would call the troopers.