Thread: canning coral mushrooms

Default canning coral mushrooms

Lots of coral mushrooms around right now. I've never canned that variety. Does anyone have any experience or tips specific to corals? I've canned a couple of other varieties.

What type of coral mushrooms are you getting? what local roughly? I need to find a different technique for preserving hedgehog mushies. The wife and I tried drying them last year and they just sort of turned to dust.

no, not that variey. but i have harvested a few of these-

http://www.shroomery.org/9571/Psilocybe-semilanceata

but, i didn't can them. sorry i couldn't help

Quote Originally Posted by nitroshrew View Post
    What type of coral mushrooms are you getting? what local roughly? I need to find a different technique for preserving hedgehog mushies. The wife and I tried drying them last year and they just sort of turned to dust.
    That 'dust' is good for soup broths. Many mushrooms increase in intensity when dried and when they powder they make for good soup. Never found hedgehog mushroom to be really mushroomy flavored though so I'm not sure if that holds with this idea. Freezing is also an option. You can saute to about mid-point and freeze them for future use.

FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

never thought about sauting then freezing, hmmm, have to try that. I dig the hedgehogs because here in seward they are plentiful in the fall, and have a much richer flavor than the angel wings I get early on during the grouse opener.

Hedgehogs in Seward? I wonder if there are any in Talkeetna! All I ever find up this way are boletes of different varieties, usually bug ridden... Food dehydrator for any of my picking, used to do some down in Oregon with the chantrelles which I miss.