This project has been in the planning stage for almost a year and I will be about a hundred dollars lighter, compare that to whatever a taxi would charge. It's time to get to work.
First I started with a abnormally large chunk of cottonwood provided by a generous forum member who happened to recently drop a cott in his yard. From there I decided to attempt a disc cut with my chain saw. This cut would be the plaque for my moose antlers. After a dozen or more tries I found an acceptable cut. This piece of wood sat for almost a year to dry. Lucky the cottonwood did not split.
I found a clear coat epoxy suitable for the plaque and poured until evenly thick.
While the epoxy dried I wanted to fix bullet hole on one side of the antlers. The story behind the hole is a story all in it's own. With an all purpose putty compound and taxi dy for color I worked some taxi magic. From 10' you can't even tell a bullet passed through the horn.
Tomorrow the plan is to put the horns in a maniken, cover with leather and screw to the cottonwood plaque. It will be a good feeling to finally get the antlers on the wall.