Thread: DIY Antler Mount

Default DIY Antler Mount

This project has been in the planning stage for almost a year and I will be about a hundred dollars lighter, compare that to whatever a taxi would charge. It's time to get to work.

First I started with a abnormally large chunk of cottonwood provided by a generous forum member who happened to recently drop a cott in his yard. From there I decided to attempt a disc cut with my chain saw. This cut would be the plaque for my moose antlers. After a dozen or more tries I found an acceptable cut. This piece of wood sat for almost a year to dry. Lucky the cottonwood did not split.

I found a clear coat epoxy suitable for the plaque and poured until evenly thick.

While the epoxy dried I wanted to fix bullet hole on one side of the antlers. The story behind the hole is a story all in it's own. With an all purpose putty compound and taxi dy for color I worked some taxi magic. From 10' you can't even tell a bullet passed through the horn.

Tomorrow the plan is to put the horns in a maniken, cover with leather and screw to the cottonwood plaque. It will be a good feeling to finally get the antlers on the wall.

need some shades for the glare coming off of that shiny piece of wood
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Very cool, nothing better than doing a project yourself. The wood plaque looks awesome, anxious to see the final product. I also did my own moose antler mount with the guidance of a taxidermist friend of mine, fun stuff.

Honestly...I would make a table out of that wood and put the antlers on the shed out back.
    Nice work on the wood.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

All done.... Watcha think?

I think its about 52" lol, <grins> looks dang good, nice wall piece.

Nope not 52". I can't say the exact measurement until we get the honest and typical ODD answer of "every bit of 62 inches."

Looks good Grem! That cottonwood does look nice. Did you have a backup slice in case that one split? Did you plane the wood or just sand it?

I wish I had a backup slice of wood, I would make a small table out of it if I did. Honestly, I had three large chunks of cottonwood and out of all the discs I cut from those three chunks only that one piece was semi flat and dried without cracking. Prepping the wood I sanded it with a belt sander which made it close to level. The epoxy clear coat pretty much leveled it off from there.

What you don't see in the picture is the 3/8" plywood that I glued and screwed to the backside. Even if the wood cracks or splits the plywood should be enough to keep the antlers from falling. The mount, as a finished product, weighs 52lbs. I'm confident the mount won't be a hanging hazard in the house.

W_G, that looks really nice. That cottonwood slab is something different the way the inner part is darker than the outer rings! Good job on the skullplate and the rope around the bases really sets it off. Looks like a professional job.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    W_G, that looks really nice. That cottonwood slab is something different the way the inner part is darker than the outer rings! Good job on the skullplate and the rope around the bases really sets it off. Looks like a professional job.
    Yea the dark center and the dark horns really make it Sharp. Congrat's on the DIY, Looks Great

I originally thought you were going to angle cut the cottonwood to get an elliptical piece of wood backing...hmmm...I might have to try that next!

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Nope not 52". I can't say the exact measurement until we get the honest and typical ODD answer of "every bit of 62 inches."
    Which would then be followed by a "less than 50" I would not have shot that" response

Beautiful mount on a beautiful rack. Congratulations all around.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

What did you use for filler to get the leather flat and round/smooth? I always end up with creases - that I try to make look somewhat symetrical....

The angle cut was the initial plan, after a few test cuts that idea proved to be difficult. Maintaining a constant angle cut with the chainsaw just didn't pan out. It was a valid idea but too much for my limited chainsaw skills.

I used some kind of taxi paper machete to fill the void between the skull cap and the manikin. The trick for me, to keep a crease free mani cover was to ditch the leather. The leather is just too thick and it is tough work being it doesn't stretch well. I switched to a suede stretchy material and it proved to be the difference between a sloppy and semi pro look. Without a doubt the suede stretchy was easier to work for this newby. I thank a young kid with wannabe dreads at Jo Anna fabric who showed me this stuff.

Default DIY moose antler mount

Here is another DIY antler mount, well the board I bought but the skull cap cover is tanned moose hide from a moose my father shot in MT in the early 80s. I had this partially completed since 2002 but finally got a place to hang it which encouraged me to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Here is another DIY antler mount, well the board I bought but the skull cap cover is tanned moose hide from a moose my father shot in MT in the early 80s. I had this partially completed since 2002 but finally got a place to hang it which encouraged me to finish it.
    Nice job! What did you coat your antlers with?

I'm with Ryan, what did you coat the antlers with? Looks really good...

My neighbor year ago game me some antler stain he got from Van Dyke's taxidermy. It was not easy to coat evenly as I have several coats on them. Here is a link to what I believe to be the same stain. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/ANS8-P3990.aspx

This started out as a European mount years ago, about killed myself boiling it in my garage in Fairbanks in the winter...another story, then I changed the plan once I found the tanned hide from my father's moose from years ago. I had actually bought 3 different boards for it until I found one I liked. I would have liked to cut once out myself but time was of concern to get it on the wall before I had to leave for an extended work trip.