Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blued or stainless for bear protection, satin or polished

Default Blued or stainless for bear protection, satin or polished

What is the best finish for a bear protection firearm........Blued, high gloss deep blue, parkerized, stainless steel, high polish stainless steel, or kind of brushed stainless steel, or maybe red, or green paint........?????

Stainless, unless there is another finish more impervious to Alaskan weather. Personally, I like the look of a good blued finish better than stainless, but I buy stainless guns for hunting here. And for a bear protection gun - you need it to function when brown fuzzy charges. Stainless will function even when neglected a bit, whereas a blued gun overlooked might be caked with rust to the point of a FTF at a most in-opportune moment.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I prefer blued because stainless is too shiny, and the flash could scare the the bear off, before you even have a chance to protect yourself from him.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Stainless, unless there is another finish more impervious to Alaskan weather. Personally, I like the look of a good blued finish better than stainless, but I buy stainless guns for hunting here. And for a bear protection gun - you need it to function when brown fuzzy charges. Stainless will function even when neglected a bit, whereas a blued gun overlooked might be caked with rust to the point of a FTF at a most in-opportune moment.
    AK, FYI, this is just another AGL4 attempt to feel superior by mocking others who ask questions about bear issues on this forum. He's not really asking, but just wants to assuage his subconscious self loathing by finding others to loath more than he does himself. He doesn't even realize that's why he does it or even that it is a sign of weakness rather than strength.

I kinda had that suspicion, but I bit anyway. I just like talking about guns, regardless of the motives of the person I'm talking to.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Stainless for the reason others have stated. Mine gets wet when I go fishing, etc and i dont have to worry about it rusting.

I like Stainless guns because they shoot harder and kill better than their blued counterparts. LOL !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I prefer stainless guns because when the blood sprays back from my deadly accurate shot to the bear that is about to eat me, I don't have to worry about rust. Also there is a chance you can blind the bear from the reflection from the sun. I was thinking about trying to use the reflection to cause the bear to chase it. Kinda like what I do with my Labrador and a laser pointer.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Smile

I'm pretty sure the bear won't care. If I had to guess though, I would say stainless. It will stand up to a bit more holster wear, and it will look more cosmetically appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_AK View Post
    I'm pretty sure the bear won't care. If I had to guess though, I would say stainless. It will stand up to a bit more holster wear, and it will look more cosmetically appealing.
    And of course - the bear will move on to eat someone with a less attractive firearm.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    AK, FYI, this is just another AGL4 attempt to feel superior by mocking others who ask questions about bear issues on this forum. He's not really asking, but just wants to assuage his subconscious self loathing by finding others to loath more than he does himself. He doesn't even realize that's why he does it or even that it is a sign of weakness rather than strength.
    Well, isn't a "bear protection" firearm often carried in rough, and wet conditions?

Durability, might be an issue to some.

Some folks might think that Stainless, is somewhat less prone to rust, which could conceivably affect function, something very important for a "bear protection" gun.

He also, asked about other finishes, in perhaps a humorus way.

All in all, I think it was a valid question, and not offensive in the least.

BUT, if you're correct, as to his motivation, you might consider that some folks try to feel superior by putting down other folks. And, maybe his way is preferable to that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I prefer blued because stainless is too shiny, and the flash could scare the the bear off, before you even have a chance to protect yourself from him.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, I admire your penchant for placing the relavency where it shoud be.

Give me a break. Nothing like a little relevancy to clear the air.

I prefer stainless with high visibility (orange/pink) grips. Perhaps wrap the barrel with glow in the dark tape so I can quickly find the thing when it's dark and the bear is roaming camp.

The SS will show up much better in the bear "scat" when the rangers come looking for your remains anyway...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The SS will show up much better in the bear "scat" when the rangers come looking for your remains anyway...
    I think you nailed it, Smokey !

Default high polish is better

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I prefer blued because stainless is too shiny, and the flash could scare the the bear off, before you even have a chance to protect yourself from him. Smitty of the North
    I would think high polish stainless would be better. The flash could slow down the bear and you could signal the Trooper to land so he could ask you why you shot his bear. Carysguns

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING POST COULD BE CONSTRUED THE WRONG WAY. IT IS A JOKE, JUST LIKE THIS THREAD!
    IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED BY GOOD OLD FASHIONED RACIAL STEREOTYPES JOKINGLY APPLIED TO ANIMALS, THEN READ NO FURTHER!

IF HOWEVER, YOU CAN LAUGH AT YOURSELF, AND LAUGH AT OBVIOUSLY RIDICULOUS BEAR STEROETYPES, ENJOY!

It all depends on the bear!

Coastal Brown Bears like low-riders and flashy pistols that are cheap, so polished stainless is the finish of choice. You will find this bear just chillin' down at the Salmon bodega in his B.O. stained "wife beater" t-shirt.

Black
    bears have a little more style and money, they like gold-plated tiger-striped Desert Eagles and two-tone gold/platinum Glocks, you'll find them rollin' through the bear-hood on Dub's, most likely wearing saggy pants and lots of jewelry

The Interior Grizzly is a whole nother' animal all-together. He likes his guns made of blue steel and walnut, his pickup rusty, and his beer cheap! Look for him in the Fairbanks Wal-Mart parking lot wearing Carhart overalls

Then there is the elusive Polar Bear, they hate all guns and gun owners alike, if you were to carry a gun it would have to be made entirely of recycled materials and shoot only canabis-darts. The best way to protect yourself from a polar bear is to carry a tree with you to hug right before you get attacked, The polar bear will most likely hug the tree with you and proceed to tell you all about how global warming is increasing his "plight." You will find polar bears anywhere there is a large supply of Granola and petuli oil, they are easily identified by their hemp clothing and REI hats

Black bears have a little more style and money, they like gold-plated tiger-striped Desert Eagles and two-tone gold/platinum Glocks, you'll find them rollin' through the bear-hood on Dub's, most likely wearing saggy pants and lots of jewelry
    Ya speltit wrong.

It's Deagles.
    Now what ?

I like stainless because when I clean it, I don't worry about rubbing the finish off, whether it is blue, parkerized, or what.

Warning: Judgemental, misanthropic, curmudgeonly remark coming. If you will take offense at a deliberately offensive remark, please stop reading here.

If you take so poor of care of your firearms that buildup of rust will render it inoperative, you deserve to feed the bears.

Lost Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast