Thread: Fly fishing murky muddy water

Default Fly fishing murky muddy water

Anyone have any flyfishing tips for catching Silvers in the murky water?? The water I am fishing is really muddy and you cannot see the fish moving at all. I have also used a lot of flies and cannot find the right one that the Silvers will bite on to in this condition. I cast downstream and strip my line the correct way but still no Silvers grabbing my flies. I have caught a lot of salmon on flies but this water condition is really different. Any advice would be great.

-Zach
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

A few times in muddy water I have had luck standing back from the waterscedge and fishing within inches of the bank. You can't see the fish and they can't see you. They move right next to the bank. You will be amazed how close. Usually this is in high muddy conditions. Hope this helps. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    A few times in muddy water I have had luck standing back from the waterscedge and fishing within inches of the bank. You can't see the fish and they can't see you. They move right next to the bank. You will be amazed how close. Usually this is in high muddy conditions. Hope this helps. Good luck
    Good advice MTguy! Silvers swim in the least current they can find and still be safe. They must feel safe in murky water because you can see their wakes they swim so shallow.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

You asked the same question a while back, but I was the only one that answered. Good to see another response, but you can read what I said too in the the original thread.