Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96

Thread: for crying out loud

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    22

    Default for crying out loud

    What is wrong with people? I haven't been on this forum for 2 years for good reason. Nothings a secret anymore. It's all about the north slope caribou, brooks sheep, denali moose, kodiak goats, afognak deer (specifics left out for good reason). There used to be a time when you ran up the Yukon to check for moose ourselves, or hiked into the range using a topo and gps for guidance. Now, you ask any Joe where he hunts and why and what caliber and what he eats and where he craps and his wifes name and his social and dob and dln and age and everything else and they wonder why were sitting in there camp next year. Cant we just tell people to find out by themselves? Information is good, but specifics, even in questions, is ruining hunting in Alaska. Internet forums are ruining hunting in Alaska

  2. #2

    Default

    Just curious...how do you feel about books, magazines and ADF&G Press Releases? We are presently living the Information Age...where everyone is wired 24/7. Alaska is a very small state, unless you are willing to get more than 10 miles from village or road nowdays.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member hooternanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Interior, AK
    Posts
    404

    Thumbs up

    yes, what res said.

    my brothers stole my hunt.

    but i agree with the name of your post "crying out loud." part

    now, nobody will ever know my spots. period

    yes, definately yes. find your own spot is a good on ya

  4. #4

    Default

    I've see a lot of asking, but not much in the way of people giving out information. Most just tell the person some ideas of where to start doing their research or just flat out say, "go find it yourself" (sometimes in a friendly, but sometimes in a not-so-friendly way).

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Although I know it happens some, I think the problem is just to many people for the amount of accessable spots to hunt. It seems like no matter where you go by car, boat or four wheeler, there's already a bunch of people there. Even if you have deep pockets and can afford to fly out to hunt, those with the most money get the best spots. Face it there's just a lot more people looking for that secret spot and if you found it, someone else will too.

  6. #6
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    no secrets anymore. the hackers are putting all your info on the web
    Semper Fi!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eielson Farm Road
    Posts
    368

    Default

    It*isn't that bad....


    *I have harvested 28 animals over my 28 years of being born & raised up here .
    & not*until*last year did*I*find this forum. All my hunt have been with myself doing all my own foot /scouting work.*You*are right there is to much (Free info on*this forum)*I've noticed*a lot*of people have*came*here to look & ask for info on a place or a hunt. But some people are traveling up here on a*"ONCE-IN-A-LIFE-TIME-HUNT &*I*understand wanting to get info to have a*successful*time.*The*time of keeping a hunting location secret is getting lost in this modern time. I did chat with*someone*that has hunted the same area for kodiak bear that I drew & his past hunt has given me*a lot*of helpful info for the october hunt*I*have planed. I know it seems like this state has gone down hill, but *there is*a lot*of good spots out there to hunt & not be crowded.
    **

  8. #8
    Member tjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    It*isn't that bad....


    *I have harvested 28 animals over my 28 years of being born & raised up here .
    & not*until*last year did*I*find this forum. All my hunt have been with myself doing all my own foot /scouting work.*You*are right there is to much (Free info on*this forum)*I've noticed*a lot*of people have*came*here to look & ask for info on a place or a hunt. But some people are traveling up here on a*"ONCE-IN-A-LIFE-TIME-HUNT &*I*understand wanting to get info to have a*successful*time.*The*time of keeping a hunting location secret is getting lost in this modern time. I did chat with*someone*that has hunted the same area for kodiak bear that I drew & his past hunt has given me*a lot*of helpful info for the october hunt*I*have planed. I know it seems like this state has gone down hill, but *there is*a lot*of good spots out there to hunt & not be crowded.
    **
    ***************
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

  9. #9
    Member rimfirematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    ***************
    Nice one! just what i was thinking

  10. #10

    Default

    Yes, I can understand where you are coming from, especially if the person wanting the is another resident. I am coming up to Ak for the first and quite possibly the last time this August. I hope it is not the last, but financially it might be. The only thing I am hunting is black bear (and the incidental wolf if I am really lucky). I was looking for information on just general areas on the Kenai Peninsula and some people have been helpful and others, well not so helpful. I am only going to be hunting for a few days so any info I got will help immensly. It is only general info, as in where to start looking and I won't be sharing the information either. I have also contacted some local biologists who gave me some useful info as well. I really appreciate the info given, and will gaurd it as a secret. But there are others who post too much infor as well, but the "good old days" are over. You think you have it bad in AK? I invite you to come down here to PA and hunt with me. You can't go anywhere without running into someone, even in archery season. Goose hunting, ha! If you don't have a field leased, you are sol. Same goes for deer, places are becoming less available. Oh, and "no trespassing signs" to some that means "come on in and hunt".

    I feel your pain, but at the same time - helping people out with GENERAL information is not necessarily a bad thing. The other thing too, most people are looking for "easy" hunts. But I bet you and I are alike, we like to earn our animals.

    Good luck,

    Tim

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    433

    Default

    This forum and the people on it have really help me with gear selection and packing lists and figuring out how to put it all together. The valuable knowledge of equipment and what not is huge. So many people on here have used and abused all sorts of items and then give us some great feedback on the pro's and con's of such.
    As for the specific info on areas. Well I learned the hard way on who to take and who to share with when it comes to fishing and hunting. But I have also met some great people that were willing to share some info.
    I hunt hard and I hunt smart. Like mentioned above, this in the information age and this forum in one great place to find info. Although you really do have to ask the right questions and do a lot of face to face talking or pm's. Those with really great info on most species won't through it up on a post for all.
    Anyway I love this place and am glad it's here.
    just my 2 cents.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Some folks think they own Alaska.

  13. #13
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Yes we do. Alaskans own Alaska.... oh, except for the 1/3 that the Federal gubberment stole. And the half that the native corps were "awarded" and then locked up.

    I gladly hand out hunting spots to anyone who asks. I just open up a satellite map, find a spot that's hard to get to and probably worthless anyway, and freely hand out the GPS coordinates to it.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenmack View Post
    Some folks think they own Alaska.
    Some folks actually do own vast tracts and more often than not, they are in the most reasonably accessible areas, alongside roadways, outlying villages and near strips.
    I have not yet finished an ongoing project of mine, but IF one were to total the actual number of square miles available for hunting in road/highway connected areas within the state....ie 5 miles on both sides of the roads, discounting private property and a reasonable distance from lodges and residences...the equivilent in square miles is akin to hunting on a good sized ranch in Texas.
    Hence, Alaskans generally feel the need for better access and usually attain atvs, snowmachines, planes, horses, buggies, tracked rigs, boats and charters to out-better the other hunter.

    Can game be taken from the roadways via shanksmare??? Sure...but a hunter has to be willing to settle for what little they find...can't be real selective when you hear car doors slamming where you parked your pickup...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    If one feels they are so informed they can't receive any benefit from participating in this site, then your points, hotrod, are valid. However, if one comes here to learn and possibly make new friends, then this site is a great resource.
    Much of the info on WHERE to hunt that can be obtained on this site, can also be obtained other places. It's just quicker to check in here.
    Addionally, much of the location info is given to folks who don't live here and will be using commercial services. For the most part, those folks don't compete with residents.
    Plenty of good to find on this site, and plenty of not so good. This site is what you make it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  16. #16

    Default

    Hey Hot Rod...Have you checked out the "Store" on the forum? It ain't all Free...But it is all Here.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  18. #18

    Default

    Amigo...Now that was funny.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    OMG...Priceless
    A follow-up report with pictures would have made it Perfect.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member HuntKodiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    684

    Default

    So it was a little over two years ago that Hot Rod needed help himself............and he hasn't been back since?
    hmmmmm


    There are some folks who come here looking for quick and easy hunting spot help, but I don't think it's as bad as the OP suggests. I doubt they are getting any secret spots either.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •