Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Another Mid Air, near Trapper Creek

  1. #1
    Member IndyCzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake
    Posts
    351

    Default Another Mid Air, near Trapper Creek

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/30...ion-in-alaska/

    no real details yet...thoughts and prayers to the crews and family's

  2. #2

    Default

    WOW!!! I can't imagine a pilot flying all the way back to ANC before landing, after a mid-air collision that sent the other craft to the ground. WTH???
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    The news said he circled to look for survivors on the ground. Seeing none he had to take care of his own. If I'm going to crash I'd rather do it where fire and medical personnel are standing by. The 206 pilot's decision make perfect sense to me. Thank God the accident aftermath wasn't worse.

  4. #4

    Default

    Of course is makes "perfect sense" as he was in command...However, I find it difficult to understand why risk it without honestly knowing the condition of his own craft...I would have set it down ASAP...I think! What was the "aftermath"? Got a line on the other plane?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    WOW!!! I can't imagine a pilot flying all the way back to ANC before landing, after a mid-air collision that sent the other craft to the ground. WTH???
    I don't see what is wrong with that, or were you just commenting on taking the chance that his plane would make it that far? It was a good decision as far as safety was conerned as long as he felt the plan would hold together for the distance. It would be much better to crash-land with emergency personnel around then to have a float break loose while landing in a remote lake and nothing around to help rescue with.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Of course is makes "perfect sense" as he was in command...However, I find it difficult to understand why risk it without honestly knowing the condition of his own craft...I would have set it down ASAP...I think! What was the "aftermath"? Got a line on the other plane?
    No idea. I hate events like this. It's bad enough that people die. That I may know them makes it personal. Godspeed to the victims.

  7. #7

    Default

    I was at the hospital emergency room and heard there were no survivors in the plane that crashed.

  8. #8

    Default

    Yes, it was a C-180 that went in and burned at least two souls gone, maybe a third.

  9. #9
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    I saw the pics on ADN of the 206 as it landed. It looked like it did not have wheels below the floats.

    Maybe I'm just not seeing it all.

    Are there wheels on that plane?

    Never mind.......I saw this in the ADN. He landed the floats on AC. Good job..

    <<Such landings -- floats skidding across a paved runway -- are not out of the ordinary in an emergency, said airport manager John Parrott.>>>>

  10. #10

    Wink Courtesy ADN.com

    At least two die after midair collision

    By CASEY GROVE
    casey.grove@adn.com

    Published: July 30th, 2011 08:40 PM
    Last Modified: July 30th, 2011 08:41 PM

    At least two people died after a midair collision Saturday afternoon between two single-engine float planes at Amber Lake about 12 miles southwest of Trapper Creek.

    The lake is about 90 miles northeast of Anchorage.

    One of the planes, a Cessna 180, crashed and burned. It is unclear how many people the plane carried, but all aboard died as a result of the crash, said troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters.

    Troopers at the crash site saw the remains of two people and possibly a third, Peters said. A medical examiner was en route late Saturday to pick up the bodies, she said.

    The second plane, a Cessna 206, landed safely on a runway in Anchorage. Its pilot, the lone occupant, was uninjured, Peters said. The plane's floats were heavily damaged in the collision, she said.

    When the plane landed, it had a piece of debris tangled in its floats.

    The planes hit each other about 2:15 p.m., Peters said. National Transportation Safety Board investigators believe the pilot of the Cessna 206 reported the collision and subsequent crash.

    There are a few homes and recreational cabins around the lake, which is accessible by taking Petersville Road to Oil Well Road, said Dennis Brodigan, emergency services director for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.

    A rescue crew from Trapper Creek drove trucks, then four-wheelers, to get to the downed plane, Brodigan said.

    "When our responders got on scene, the plane was fully engulfed in flames," he said. They used fire extinguishers to douse the flames, he said.

    The pilot of the second plane decided to land in Anchorage, rather than at Amber Lake, which has limited or no capabilities to deal with an emergency, Brodigan said.

    The second plane had landed by 3:30 p.m. on a hard-surface runway at Ted Stevens International Airport, said NTSB investigator Larry Lewis.

    Such landings -- floats skidding across a paved runway -- are not out of the ordinary in an emergency, said airport manager John Parrott.

    "It was as uneventful as it could be," Parrott said.

    The airport's north-south runway was closed for the emergency landing from about 3:15 to 4:30 p.m., Parrott said.

    The plane was removed from the runway and investigators talked with the pilot, Lewis said by phone. The investigator said he was driving north to the crash site late Saturday.

    According to Federal Aviation Administration records, the Cessna 206 is registered to Eagle River resident Kevin Earp.

    Troopers have not named the pilot of the damaged plane, nor the victims in the crashed plane.



    Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/07/30/199296...#ixzz1TeuK8Jqx
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    According to ADN at 11:39 PM.

    Four people died after a mid-air collision. The pilot that made it back to Anchorage was 56 yo Kevin Earp of Eagle River.

  12. #12
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Of course is makes "perfect sense" as he was in command...However, I find it difficult to understand why risk it without honestly knowing the condition of his own craft...I would have set it down ASAP...I think! What was the "aftermath"? Got a line on the other plane?
    You wheren't in the plane it wasn't your decision to make. Lets hope you don't have too.
    Tim

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    You wheren't in the plane it wasn't your decision to make. Lets hope you don't have too.
    Agree!!!
    But my mind is full of "What If's"...pretty much all the time.

    This pilot made a decision...the MOST important aspect of all. He made it to safety. His decision was a good one.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Sounds like Dad, Mom, and two little ones (3 and 5) in the C180.

  15. #15
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Godspeed!!!

    Prayers for the surviving family.

    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  16. #16
    Member Waterlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Sad story indeed. :-(

    I wish all involved peace, strength and healing.

    So unfortunate.

    FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

  17. #17
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If I'm going to crash I'd rather do it where fire and medical personnel are standing by. The 206 pilot's decision make perfect sense to me. Thank God the accident aftermath wasn't worse.
    I could not agree more. If the aircraft was controllable (and it obviously was) then IMHO the smartest thing is to slow the emergency down and think about your decisions and the what ifs associated with those decisions. If I am going to risk balling the plane up, I would like to do it in front of a fire/crash crew that is trained to put the fire out and get me out of the wreckage quickly.

    Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    I could not agree more. If the aircraft was controllable (and it obviously was) then IMHO the smartest thing is to slow the emergency down and think about your decisions and the what ifs associated with those decisions. If I am going to risk balling the plane up, I would like to do it in front of a fire/crash crew that is trained to put the fire out and get me out of the wreckage quickly.

    Just my nickel
    Drew
    The pilot could see the wing struts, the wings, the empennage, and at least the tops of the floats. That left only the float hulls for the site of possible (or probably) damage. A fly-by at one of Anchorage's control towers would have answered any question he might have had about the unseen float hulls. Since he could hardly land in the bush, and would have been remiss to have tried to land in a lake, his only recourse, it seems to me, was to get his C-206 to an airport. Since Anchorage has the most complete menu of maintenance and repair facilities, I believe he did the right thing. Certainly it is what I would have done . . . . .

    As has already been pointed out, landing on a hard surfaced runway with floats is nothing to be much concerned about. It will scrape some paint from the keels, though, and if controlled will be a piece of cake.

    As to the C-180 and its occupants: our QB's silent farewell will go out to them.

  19. #19
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,216

    Default

    It is always a bad deal when pilots and passengers go west in an accident.

    This is just another reminder to keep an eye out for other aircraft and use the darn radio for something other than long chats.

    I just had a client come back from his SES check-ride and he (and the examiner) was/were complaining about other planes coming much too close to him and not being on the radio net for that area.
    This time of year we see a lot more air traffic and there are lots of unfamiliar voices on the radio.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  20. #20
    Member algonquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seldovia, alaska
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Very sad, I try to keep the guess work to myself in these things, seems kinder to everyone. There is rarely an accident that happens that I feel that I didn't do something close and was just lucky. May they rest in peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •