Thread: Check Out The Mud At Fish Creek

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Check Out The Mud At Fish Creek

I was just looking at the Anchorage Daily News photo collection of dipnetting at Fish Creek.Holy cow.......what a muddy mess.People are getting fish and there are a lot of smilimg faces.......but there will be a lot of clothes washing machines running extra duty for a few days...
    Take a look http://www.adn.com/2011/07/29/199227...iew=large_view

what a mess. good thing it looks like they are helping each other out of the fire department would have to be out there pulling them suckers out.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Good gawd! What a flippin' mess... and all that for a couple little fish already decked out in their Christmas colors? No wonder they'd rather come to Kenai.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

lets not mention the number of legal violations that can be seen in those pictures.

Default violations

The only law enforcement I saw yesterday was up at the bridge checking people on the way out. It would have been nice to see one officer down at the mouth.

Poor officer would have been too embarrassed if he'd gotten himself stuck in the mud going down to the mouth.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Caught more mud then fish...
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

I learned my lesson last year. I won't dipnet Fish Creek from the bank ever again. If I need fish in my freezer and it's open - I'll float a canoe down to the mouth and drop an anchor. I have plenty of salmon in the freezer now though, so ya'll have at it, and catch a lotta fish!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Good gawd! What a flippin' mess... and all that for a couple little fish already decked out in their Christmas colors? No wonder they'd rather come to Kenai.
    I like the one of big fat guy wallowing in the mud on his hands and knees, he has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and its the only thing not muddy! Yeah the fish look like Christmas tree ornaments. I feel bad for those people if thats the only way they know how to catch a fish, looks like they made the best of it and were having fun though.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Did it once back in the mid 90s never again I'll buy from fullbush thank you. Someday there will be enough waders buried there the mud will be solid.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Someday there will be enough waders buried there the mud will be solid.
    Yeah, I'm hoping there aren't PEOPLE inside them there waders..... That can be a dangerous place.

Took me about 5 minutes to figure out that hip waders got you stuck. Most have to pull their feet out and leave them behind. I went barefoot with shorts and never got stuck, but boy was I muddy!!!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I tried a different strategy on my second trip last year. I cut 8 or so 14" square pieces of plywood and set them down in the mud bank like stairs. I had my 10-year-old son with me and he stood on them and caught about 19 fish while I bonked them, cut the gills and put them in the cooler. As the tide came in and the water level rose, he just stepped up to the next board. We weren't able to recover all of them though, so maybe it's not the best idea. The fish we caught were nowhere near as pink as those in the ADN pics though. Kinda werid.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I tried a different strategy on my second trip last year. I cut 8 or so 14" square pieces of plywood and set them down in the mud bank like stairs. I had my 10-year-old son with me and he stood on them and caught about 19 fish while I bonked them, cut the gills and put them in the cooler. As the tide came in and the water level rose, he just stepped up to the next board. We weren't able to recover all of them though, so maybe it's not the best idea.
    thats one of those "now why didn't I think of that!!" moments. will keep in mind for next year for sure!! probably good for Kenai too for that matter!

Wow, glad I didnt head up there this weekend looks like it was a mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    thats one of those "now why didn't I think of that!!" moments. will keep in mind for next year for sure!! probably good for Kenai too for that matter!
    It worked great while we were netting, but the walk back to the truck is a different story. ;-)

My son and I hit Fish Creek last year. My wife and daughter were unable to go, and really wanted to. Somehow a year's worth of time fades memories of the misery, but I'm back in the house now with those memories purely refreshed! We did have a good time and caught 9 mud torpedoes, some of which were pretty bright silver, but geez -- what were we thinking?

I did have a nice chat with 1 of three troopers who were at the mouth this evening. He mentioned that he's certain many troopers would jump at the chance to get in some overtime to patrol dipnet fisheries and other popular fishing sites more often (Russian River, etc), but it's largely a matter of funding. There just aren't enough troopers to be where they need to be with their present work schedules, without authorizing overtime. He mentioned the possibility of getting state grants for overtime work, but it sounds like someone "higher up" would need to push for those grants... Interesting. It was nice to see them down there at Fish Creek -- they stayed pretty busy.

And hey -- take one of those fish bonkers to my head next year if I ever express an interest in slogging through that quagmire again! I have concluded that hot tubs are the best thing since sliced bread.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Fish and Ship Creeks - Entertainment at its finest!

Interesting to see a boat like mine down there. If I knew how to make that happen I would have headed out this weekend and given it a shot.