Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasilla/Palmer or Anchorage Diesel mechanic

Default Wasilla/Palmer or Anchorage Diesel mechanic

I know...its off topic, but...

My 6.0 powerstroke's heads have lost their gaskets again, and I cant stand it anymore. Who can I bring it too to fix me up right...ONE More time? I already have the ARP head studs, but maybe the dealer didn't put them in right when they installed them.

Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I use Different Strokes in Anchorage 562-3673. The only thing they work on is power-strokes.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    I know...its off topic, but...

My 6.0 powerstroke's heads have lost their gaskets again, and I cant stand it anymore. Who can I bring it too to fix me up right...ONE More time? I already have the ARP head studs, but maybe the dealer didn't put them in right when they installed them.

Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks

Joe
    If you have the studs installed and still have head gasket issues.....good luck. I can save you alot of run around right here, right now. I too have a 6.0 and I have had 3 set of head gaskets put in and still have a leak problem. I also have the egr delete done after the 2nd set of gaskets, still didn't help.

The scenerio, towing anything over 5000 pounds up Turnagain or Thompson's pass and it blows like Old Faithful. If I have a power adder running then I can get it to pop pretty easy with some hard acceleration.

So my next step is heads. Save yourself the time and money and just do fire ring heads now. Ron at Powerstrokes has got some of the best diesel mechanics in the state. He does not understand why we can not get mine to seal up. It does good for awhile and then it seems everytime I go to Arctic Man or up to that area for riding I ruin his good work. So this fall after babying it all summer heads are coming off if this does not fix it, say bye bye 6.0l and hello to Cummin's 6.7l.

I love my truck, hate the freakin' engine. Wish I had my '03 back. The guy that has it never has had an issue.

I've been told by powerstroke guys that don't want to go to different strokes that advanced diesel is good spot to go.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

It is an inherent problem with the 6.0 it seems. They are prone to Thermal Compression of the head gaskets, due to not cooling the engine before shut-down and blowing the gasket on the next drive, following an improper shut-down. When cooled properly, they seem to last longer...not long, but longer. Some have installed an aftermarket coolant circulating pump, with a thermostatically controlled sensor to mitigate the frequency of failure. I have yet to see one without the issue....But, surely someone is going to come along here real quick and tell us he's got a hundred and fify-four thousand miles on his without lifting the hood.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It is an inherent problem with the 6.0 it seems. They are prone to Thermal Compression of the head gaskets, due to not cooling the engine before shut-down and blowing the gasket on the next drive, following an improper shut-down. When cooled properly, they seem to last longer...not long, but longer. Some have installed an aftermarket coolant circulating pump, with a thermostatically controlled sensor to mitigate the frequency of failure. I have yet to see one without the issue....But, surely someone is going to come along here real quick and tell us he's got a hundred and fify-four thousand miles on his without lifting the hood.
    My frickin' '03 does.....

It's not only a cool down thing. I never shut mine down until my EGT's have dropped to 300*. My block water temps never get over 210* and outlet temps never get over 225* and only when towing heavy and it's warm out. Ford even change the temps when the cooling fan comes on ~205* (?) which was a PIA with a 198* t stat.

I never see egt's over 1100* which is about what it runs at stock pulling my boat uphill. When I pull the heads this last time, going to put new studs in, along with the fire ring heads. I know there are a bunch of guys out there pushing a bunch more power and pulling alot heavier but it just has not been in my cards with this engine this time.

7.3 is the last good international engine in fords. P E R I O D.
    Semper Fi!

Im at 105000 on my 05 and it seems you don't need to open the hood when the cab is off...hahahaha

I love my truck, and when the 6.0 runs, boy does it run! I just hate the problems they have had. I think there is a HUGE problem when I walk into the service dept. and the service manager says..."Hi Joe, what is it this time?"

Thanks for the advice DS, I was going to ask them about the fire rings anyways and have them install the EGR delete while its apart.

I suppose ill call Different Strokes monday. Thanks again.

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Hello, there. I just found out that my Volvo is starting to give me problem; I tried to start it but it making a sound which does when we try to start the engine. Actually problem is itís a diesel engine and I donít have much idea about it, so can you refer a good diesel mechanic who can resolve my problem. Recently I installed few things in my Volvo like heat exchanger, a.c. and new turbo look.

Diesel Mechanic

advanced diesel is the best place to go. Hands down.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

If you have a ford, Different Strokes is the place to go. Ron has taken care of my 7.3 several times and is going to get another shot at getting the oil pan to stop leaking this spring.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    If you have a ford, Different Strokes is the place to go. Ron has taken care of my 7.3 several times and is going to get another shot at getting the oil pan to stop leaking this spring.
    is it a ps? probably you dob stick bung if so. easy fix
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    My 7.3PS can't get out of it own way. I was thinking maybe I needed one of those super chips but maybe I have bung issues? If so all my problems are behind me...the people following me are the ones that gotta smell the diesel smoke

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Here is how to fix it.

1. Open hood
    2. Remove radiator cap.
    3. Back truck way slowly or have it towed away
    4. Drive a Cummins powered Dodge under cap
    5. Install cap.
    6. Live happily ever after.

Okay i got to ask, what is a dob stick bung......

I think my problem is that that the thing has leaked since new and there is something not right. The dealer pulled the motor to fix it, then Ron at PS fixxed it (his fix lasted longer than the dealer) and now its slowing leaking again. If I could get that leak fixxed and the sloppy steering sorted out I would be thrilled.

As far as driving a cummins, I do, my wife drives the Excursion. Unfortunately my cummins is an 01 and the back seat is too small for the boys. Been thinking real hard about putting a cummins in the Excursion... not that hard any more and it would be a beast then.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you have a poblem with any Powerstroke, any year, call Dale Isley @ Tymar out of Spokane, Washington http://www.tymarperformance.com/ (509)922-8785. You will not regreat the long distance charges. He knows these engines inside and out, he will have an answer for you. I have a '97 7.3L PS with a number of Tymar upgrades, all have made these a great truck...the last being a custom burned 4 position programmer that Dale burned for me based on details of my driving style.

Locally, I have used Diesel Doctor in Wasilla twice and have gotten good service.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

the only thing bad about a cummins is its wrapped in a crappy dodge. that would be a great engine if its a 12v or 24v for your excursion, as excursions are pure awesome for hauling kids and trailers.
    Semper Fi!

Nothing wrong with a 7.3 PSD Excursion. My brother in law and best friend each have one. They love them.

the only thing bad about a cummins is its wrapped in a crappy dodge. that would be a great engine if its a 12v or 24v for your excursion, as excursions are pure awesome for hauling kids and trailers.
    I would probably try and find an 03 Cummins motor just to make the referee at the IM station happy and besides that is a good motor. Little porting, little polishing, a cam, twin turbos and some big sticks and the Excursion would be a pulling machine... well all that and some new springs.

Love my 99' F250 SD 7.3PSD ! Love it and I am going to drive the fricken wheels off of it, 175,000 miles and runs like new and never an oil leak. I just hope that by the time the wheels fall off of my truck that FORD has a reliable diesel under the hood again. The Cummins engine is a great engine, but like G3 said, it has a crappy Dodge wrapped around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast