Thread: Non Lighted Sights?

Default Non Lighted Sights?

What is a good bow sight that doesn't have a light or rheostat on it that can be used in a bow and arrow hunt only?

Almost any light is going to be removable. Best bet is to head to an archery shop and look them over. Tons of good sights out there for not alot of money.

Never tried to put a light on my thumb ! However I guess you could; though it would probably just be in the way. BUT, I shoot a recurve, too.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

the black gold flash point is what i use, very bright bill at np archery will hook you up

I would have to say that the sights with the fiber wrapped around the outside are far brighter than any other I've tried. I just bought a Spot Hog. Great sight!

I had a black gold flash point and did think it was ok. Had to send it back to factory, which was very helpful, for some pin work. The only thing I did not like about it was the lack of third axis adjustment. It was probably me and not the site as I gave it to my son and he likes it. I next bought a 7 pin spot hog and it has built in third axis adjustment for each individual pin. Now the fiber lighting. The flash point was brighter over all, but the spot hog pins individually seem to show up better, I think because they are smaller in diameter. I do like this when shooting a longer distance as they do not cover most of your target or animal. As for the need of light, you can add an adjustable light to most sites that help in a blind. Having said that, SD does not allow a hunter to use any attached device that lights the sight. That is something to consider. I really do like my spot hog for optic size, pin size and fiber optics lighting. Works well for early and late day light situations. If it isn't lighted, don't shoot as you are too early or too late. Just my humble thoughts.

Can a sight be used if it is not equipped with the light but rather could be equipped with the manufacturer's rheostat or equivalent (aka able to accept a manufacturer's bracket to hold the light). Several of the lights, including the "spot hogs with the wrap" are equipped with a threaded insert for a rheostat. But then, I've seen other Spot Hoggs that are not threaded for the rheostat.

The "black gold flash point" looks like a good sight for the proposed use as it has plenty of coil but doesn't have a manufacturer's lighting bracket of rheostat attachment.

I use Sword Twilight Hunter sights on all my bows, great sights, TOUGH and can be had under $100 and much cheaper used on archerytalk. When i'm hunting I just un-screw the light(what a BS regulation...). Lots of good sights out there, spot hogg, g5, truball, etc and most we'll have the option to unscrew the light.

In terms of enforcement, how would a LEO know whether the rheostat was attached at the time of the shooting or not? The real answer seems to be, were they (LEO) there when you launched the arrow?

If a hunter uses the bow and illuminated sight to take a shot at a grouse, then removes it for a shot at a moose, and then uses it again for more shots at grouse, the regulation technically seems to allow such transitions. From the IBEF course, I recall discussions that LEO may measure the weight of your arrows (and type of broadheads) you using may make issue if you’re not complying. Therefore, I tend to be a little more conservative and desire to avoid such perceptions/discussions/explanations/suspicions with respect to my equipment; and use a sight (in archery restricted areas) that is free of the removable rheostat option.

For comparison, if a fisherman walked back to the truck with a limit of reds and a weighted treble hook at the end of the pole from a fly only “hooked in the mouth” area …. others may be alarmed at the perception that the fisherman got his fish illegally, no matter if he removed the treble hook for a few casts to get his limit or how BS the regulations are.