Thread: Read & Learned

Default Read & Learned

Well I've been reading this forum for 6-9mths now. I got a lot of great information and learned a great deal from you guys/gals and really appreciate the time people put in here. The family and I arrive to our new home in Wasilla Aug 3rd. I've been out of the hunting scene for quite some time, even then all I really hunted was dear in Oregon. My main concerns moving to Alaska was gun selection, hunting & protection. I need to take in the area before getting too serious but I wanted the right gun until then. Plus I needed to act quick before the wife changed her mind. Being afraid of Brown Bears is a good excuse to buy a couple guns.

I plan on doing a lot of practice at the range, take the boy out hunting for rabbit while scoping areas to setup a bait station. I figured this is a good way to get my son as well as myself started. Any how, I needed a rifle and hand gun that I would be comfortable shooting either lefty or right handed (ambidextrous). Adrenalin is a funny thing when your ambidextrous...you never know which hand you're going to prefer...so the gun better accommodation. My kids laugh at me just about every night at the dinner table. It takes me a good 10 seconds or so to figure out which hand to put the fork or knife into.

So I called up Grizzly Custom Guns and placed an order for their Brush Hawg in 45-70. Their rifle work just looks amazing. 4-6 months from now I should be the proud owner of my first lever gun. I feel that the custom work and ability to shoot this rifle comfortably left or right handed made this a good choice.
    I know the 44 is the preferred minimum for bear protection but I've never shot a hand gun before. I needed something to get started with that wouldn't have too much kick and cause flinching. Also I needed a gun that the wife could use as well as eventually training my son to use. By the time they both are comfortable shooting a hand gun I should be ready for something in the 44-500 range...maybe . Anyway I called Wild West Guns and place an order for the Springfield XD 45ACP w/ the Rowland 460 mod. I can practice w/ both 45ACP rounds as well as the Rowland.

I know gun choice is very personal and selective but I feel that these two guns where the right choice for now. As I grow and learn I may add to the arsenal.

Looks like you're starting on a well thought out path. It wouldn't hurt to get a little formal training on the handgun so you can aquire a well disciplined set of fundamentals to work from.
    Now what ?

Agreed, I was thinking about the hand gun course they had posted. I decided to wait to see if Base had anything to offer first once I get in town (military).

Welcome to AK (almost). Moving to Alaska is the third best decision of my life...only slightly behind marrying my wife and having children. We have been here for 25 years and it is an amazing place to be.

Regarding your ambidexterity, while you may use either hand in your daily activities and shooting, only one of your eyes is dominant over the other (and that doesn't go back and forth through the day). You probably already know all of this, and know that you'll want to try to teach yourself to intentionally go to that dominant eye when shooting.

Anyway...welcome.

Welcome to the forums and to AK. Sounds like you have picked a couple of winning firearms. I hope you have a quick and easy transition and I look forward to your participation on the forum.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Doc, I hear ya. I'm left eye dominate. I prefer to shoot lefty with the hand gun (tested that out with my kids airgun), and the military has set me up with right handed shooting w/ the rifle (they never seemed to have a lefty setup). I can't seem to break away from shooting right even though I shoot more accurately left. Standing up and laying down are no problem, everything feels the same left or right. It's shooting the various other positions that feel awkward. I've noticed that even when I shoot right handed I'm generally good for about 50 rounds or so. After that I start to loose focus (right eye weakens). I'm going to try to learn to shoot w/ both eyes open but that may take some time.

Thanks for the welcome 1cor.

I'm left-handed and left-eye dominant as well. When I was in the Marines (years ago), they let me shoot everything left-handed. I set a range record with the M-14. However, the very first round I shot from an M-16 ended with the spent case landing directly between my right face-cheek and helmet chin-strap...had a nice burn from it.

Sorry to side-track....

Welcome to Anchorage.

I too am left eye dominant and shoot ambidextrous using my left eye with both eyes open for sidearms. Wish I could do that with rifles.

For sidearm I would recommend a .22 pistol such as Ruger to begin learning, then move into a .357 small frame such as a S&W using .38 wadcutter target loads to become accustomed to how a revolver works. Your wife and son can use the small framed revolver well, and the heavier weight will reduce the recoil and make target practicing fun. Barrel length should be four to six inches and I lean towards longer barrels. Once you acclimate to the .38, begin using .357 loads. And so-on.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

thanks nitroman, sounds like a pretty good ladder to success.