Thread: Moose Sheds

Default Moose Sheds

Anybody have any creative ideas for moose sheds? Have a few laying around and am really interested in doing some cool projects with them, any ideas or thoughts?
    Thank You

Sure lots 'o' stuff to be made.

New knife handle for your hunting knife.

Try your hand at relief carving you can do simple paterns with a dremmel.

Buttons buttons ya can make alot of buttons just cut the smaller spikes into 1/4 inch thick slices and drill two holes in them.

Make a yo-yo not as hard as it sounds pick a fairly round section cut 2 1/2 inch pices drill a 1/4 inch deep hole in dead center of each. Cut a dowel 3/4 inches long glue in holes, smooth off edges and ya got a yo-yo.

A servicable chandeleer(Fancy hanging light thingy, man my spelling is awful) can be made from 3 or 4 sheds formed in a circle.

Seen some nice candle holders made out of sections of sheds.

Use several shed as a base and make a glass toped table(this one can be really cool if the sheds are about the same size and its done right)

Just be creative and have fun with them.

Never ask an artist what to do with sheds ya get a bunch of stuff like the above.

Almost forgot
    When working with sheds and rotary tools keep a shop window and door open they stink to high heaven off burnt hair. Also wear a dust mask organics like antler dust are carcinogenic. I Know of old carvers who've died of lung cancer and were'nt smokers!

G'night all
    Rick P.

I want to get ahold of a nice, large shed to make into a house # sign. There are a lot of creative signs in my neighborhood, so I've given quite a bit of thought to how to display my house number hour by the street. I think making an antler into a sign could work pretty well.

-Brian

Check out the work this guy does http://alaskaantlerworks.com/, They have a really good website and visit here now and then.

I don't use a shed, I just keep my moose outside. That way I don't have to feed them all year.

I would make a chair instead, or I guess if you have enough you could make a shed!

No idea what you do with 'em. But if there a BIG set, let me know where you found them. Baaa.... Oh, I'm gonna get an ARSE spank'n for asking that!!!!

Hey, if you can't have a little fun then there's no point getting out of bed.

Talking Nothing

I think shed horns are useless!

So your best bet is to sell them or better yet give them away. I just happen to know someone that would like to have them. Just PM “tv321”

Default Finding them

While on the subject, anyone aggessively go searching for moose sheds? After spending a considerable amount of time browsing the Bork's website, it something I thought I'd really like to get into. So far I've just dreamt it though. Maybe tomorrow I'll go out tomorrow. Anyone have some pointers for me?

Default SHed Hunting

Hey MIke,

Try to look in areas that have bulls around the Jan, Feb time. They drop them then. The largest drop theirs first. If you find one, work the area hard. They do not like having only one side, they are heavy and with one side gone they have to balance with their neck. If you can find winter-feeding areas and trails look there. I have found several along rivers and creeks. They maybe easier to find this year with the low amount of snow we have had. If you are lucky, don't let anyone cheat you out of them. They are worth the effort. If you get a matched set, they are worth even more. Do an Internet search I think you would be surprised at what they are worth. Happy hunting. Oh yea, also a great way to know that a big bull made it thru hunting season and you might want to hunt that same place next year. Good Luck.

Steve

Michael;

I ussually look for them in the spring while I'm out hiking, fishing, scouting new hunts ect... In areas that get alot of snow dont bother looking on the ground look up! Yup look up in the trees found a single shed once that had a palm that was 28" long. Found it about 15' up in a tree and in areas where the snow gets deep most of the ones I find are 10'-15' up in a tree.

Thing is twords time to shed thoughs big racks we all prize they start to itch so the bull will look for a conveniant thing to scratch on. When your the size of a bull moose that means trees. Take the snow depth add in the hight of the moose and presto antlers in trees!

Just one Alaskans experiance
    Rick P

I'll secound that one stid! Take a run over to the fur exchange and see what folks are payin' they run through them like they are hot cackes!

Thanks guys, I wouldn't be interested in selling at all. I just would love to find a couple. I just moved up to the Fairbanks area in June, and thought it'd be a good excuse to get out a bunch in winter/spring. They'd be prized possessions if I found any! I know a lot of finds are by chance, but knew that most drop in Jan/Feb. Figured the winter feed areas would be a good bet, too bad I couldn't get out much to locate any. I did a hike yesterday, but not much moose sign where I was. Thanks for the tips!

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help, time to put them to use. Some of that work done on that alaskaantlerworks website is incredible, WOW. Thanks again everyone

Default Moose antlers

Heres one idea. I will try to get a couple others up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Moose antlers

Try this one.

Default Moose antlers

Or you can just carve one

Default Inspired

Backtracker, you have inspired me. Those are awesome. Might have to at try to do the picture frame one.
    Thanks for sharing

Steve

Thumbs up Good thread

Great idea for the picture frames. I have a pile of sheds at the cabin and will try to butcher one up for my hunting photos. Thanks for the post. I also noticed the insulators on the wall, are u a lineman? Not many people display them. I also liked the altimeter made into a clock.

Raingull, you really should bring your moose in out of the cold. He will thank you and the moose gods might smile on you next year. Go ahead, build him a shed!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

That picture frame idea is awesome. Thanks for the info guys and keep the ideas coming.